Build a Tower

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Build a Tower

Postby toolpot462 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 pm

The object of this contest is to create an automated machine designed to take designated parts and use them to make a tower.

Scoring will be similar to that of golf; the lower the score, the better.

Every second a machine takes to do it's job will cost 1 point. In the case of multiple entries, the fastest one is the only one that will be counted against an entrant in terms of time.
There is no limit to the amount of entries, but each one (including the first) will cost 30 points.
Any entry that does not work or follow the rules will cost 500 points.
Editting a post to replace a scene will result in disqualification.

The rules, as well as intuitive directions, are included in the scene:

Addenda:
- The tower must end up in the green space.
- You may build anywhere.
- Any scripting will cost 200 points.

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 312.21 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

This contest will officially close exactly one week after the most recent entry, provided there are at least three entries.

I don't expect this to be easy, but then if someone comes up with a lateral solution, it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised in a phun/algodoo contest.

I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that I haven't made a mistake.
Last edited by toolpot462 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
toolpot462

Re: Build a Tower

Postby monstertje3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm

I made a scripted scene, i used special dimensional lasers :? , and teleported the tower:

Filesize: 230.63 kB
download

however, i need 1 large block and i have 2 small blocks too many.

EDIT: (ps, it has a small chance to fail)
Basically, there are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouths.
monstertje3

Postby toolpot462 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

monstertje3 wrote:I made a scripted scene, i used special dimensional lasers :? , and teleported the tower:

Filesize: 230.63 kB
download

however, i need 1 large block and i have 2 small blocks too many.

EDIT: (ps, it has a small chance to fail)

How does it work? I press play and nothing happens. :/
toolpot462

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 am

it does work according to the instructions.
he is building the tower on the left, using the pieces in the middle, with the lasers on the right. perhaps you should be more clear in your instructions?

sits back and giggles

:clap:
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Postby monstertje3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am

O, i forgot to say you need the beta version (at least 2.1 i think), as i modify the pos of the boxes, wich is a new feature.
Basically, there are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouths.
monstertje3

Postby toolpot462 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 pm

jon_joy_1999 wrote:it does work according to the instructions.
he is building the tower on the left, using the pieces in the middle, with the lasers on the right. perhaps you should be more clear in your instructions?

sits back and giggles

:clap:

Are you saying you think I should not allow such an entry? It's not a physical spectacle, but it would still at least be impressive, if I could see it working. But if you think it's not fair, I could say no lasers or something, and I'd just not count that entry...

Although I would like to see it work. I've got 2.0.1.
toolpot462

Postby monstertje3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm

I suggest you download the latest beta, it has a lot of nice new features :thumbup:
monstertje3

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 am

toolpot462 wrote:Are you saying you think I should not allow such an entry? It's not a physical spectacle, but it would still at least be impressive, if I could see it working. But if you think it's not fair, I could say no lasers or something, and I'd just not count that entry...

Although I would like to see it work. I've got 2.0.1.

No.
you can get the latest beta from here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9381
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Postby toolpot462 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 am

jon_joy_1999 wrote:No.
you can get the latest beta from here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9381

Thanks, I looked everywhere for that but the forum.

monstertje3 wrote:I suggest you download the latest beta, it has a lot of nice new features :thumbup:

As for your entry, monstertje3, no doubt your thyme skills are impressive - BUT the tower was supposed to end up in the green space. The green space was NOT meant as a "build area" (there is none). "Take these parts, build this tower, here", as in "in this spot". I have updated the rules in the op, and I won't count your entry against you for the fact that I can understand how the rules were ambiguous.
toolpot462

Return to Contests