Ultimate Engine Contest

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Re: Ultimate Engine Contest

Postby daniels220 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:48 pm

@13yrmadman: Umm...there's really nothing to make a tutorial for... Here's the best one I could make, stripped of any gearbox or extraneous parts, though—it may be easier to dissect than Conundrumers awesome-but-heavily-layered gearbox version.

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 48.84 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

Also, Conundrumer, in the description of that scene I note that touching the engine with just about anything makes it really erratic and prone to exploding. How did you build your gearbox and avoid that?
daniels220

Postby a Mammoth » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Kilinich wrote:I don't see any limit for size/weight in rules. That means I can scale up my engine and go faster/get more power.

A solely engine contest would be judged on power to weight ratio and/or torque and horsepower and revs. Basically all the things that someone would look for in a car engine.
Phundamentalist, I am.
a Mammoth

Postby Kilinich » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:15 pm

a Mammoth wrote:
Kilinich wrote:I don't see any limit for size/weight in rules. That means I can scale up my engine and go faster/get more power.

A solely engine contest would be judged on power to weight ratio and/or torque and horsepower and revs. Basically all the things that someone would look for in a car engine.

Hmm... and how you plan to measure power/torque (on what RPM)?
How can negative springs engine (with virtually unlimited power) can be compared with collision or bouncing engines?
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby a Mammoth » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Kilinich wrote:Hmm... and how you plan to measure power/torque (on what RPM)?
How can negative springs engine (with virtually unlimited power) can be compared with collision or bouncing engines?

Idk, use what James Watt did. Have an engine lift a weight as fast as possible, thus giving energy. Gearing could be made by the user in order to optimize performance. The thing with this contest, is that it measures fastest time. It has to use the rev range of the engine in order to accelerate, which then requires a transmission. So what this contest is basically measuring a whole drive train.

I approximated the wheel horse power of my engine by going up a hill, then looking at the graph of the total potential energy over one second. How many Joules it gained is the number of Watts it is producing, since a Watt is a Joule a second. Then just converted to horse power using Google.
Once you have the power, just divide it by the weight.
Phundamentalist, I am.
a Mammoth

Postby Kilinich » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:10 am

ok, here it is my standard V-Engine (double sized).
It can be easily tweaked to get more power -- just set harder springs.
Filesize: 27.15 kB
Comments: 2
download
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby Frank » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:11 am

Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 47.63 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 2
download

Did it. Finally. Damn, that was hard. This is my first gear box ever, two speeds, no neutral or reverse.
Made some cool stuff a long time ago
Frank
[Best Tutorial Maker 2010]

Postby Kilinich » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:44 am

Frank wrote:Did it. Finally. Damn, that was hard. This is my first gear box ever, two speeds, no neutral or reverse.

Frank, you post in wrong contest :crazy:
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby davidz40 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Rating: rated 5.3
Filesize: 35.07 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 2
download

My entry
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby 13yrmadman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:26 am

daniels220 wrote:@13yrmadman: Umm...there's really nothing to make a tutorial for... Here's the best one I could make, stripped of any gearbox or extraneous parts, though—it may be easier to dissect than Conundrumers awesome-but-heavily-layered gearbox version.

Filesize: 48.84 kB
Comments: 0
download

Also, Conundrumer, in the description of that scene I note that touching the engine with just about anything makes it really erratic and prone to exploding. How did you build your gearbox and avoid that?

thanks alot man, that really helped, i built my own car out of it and it travels at MACH 1 but i wont use for any contest because its basically urs.
Alpha, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota to Omega
Thats Physics for you
13yrmadman

Previous

Return to Contests