Best Idea Contest

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Re: Best Idea Contest

Postby RicH » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Someone Else wrote:
Read This First wrote:Has my contest been done before? I don't think so. Now why hasn't it been done before eh? Because it's not even a contest. It's a "give me an idea!" thread.
Use the search feature to check. (*note*Make sure to check the original phunland.com forum as well.)

Is my contest overly simple or overly complex? Overly simple... maybe. Probably. Overly simple. In fact, there is no point.
Is it to make a fast car---Too simple Make atomic fusion?---Too Complex

Is my contest "stupid"? There seem to be widely varying opinions on this. Widely varying? You serious? It's terrible. 'Nuff said.
A contest to create the super fastest ultra car rocket... 'Nuff said.
A contest to create the best idea ever...

STEP : 2 Other stuff...

Does my contest have a well established set of rules that are not overly restraining on the participants? Could be developed a bit better. Those are rules? Huh. Barely, I guess. What's a reasonable size for an 'idea'?
Just make sure it has good rules(And a solid and easily understood objective).

If my contest needs a base scene (scene that others build their entries on), is it included in my first post? None is necessary. Captain Obvious ftw.
'Nuff Said...

Does my contest have an ending date? I think this is kinda pointless. I would say the optimal ending date would be whenever the topic dies or when there are probably not going to be any more entries. An ending date is just there to serve a time limit for the people who make entries. More time means more work on your entry, and that means a better score. Put a time limit on, and it becomes more competitive.
Every contest should!

Do I tell everyone how I will judge their entries? Highly subjective, but yes. You know what his scoring system says? It says "I'm basically gonna rate your scenes based on how good it is in my eyes and input numbers in just to make you think I'm really scoring all of those entries equally, fairly, and with the same criteria.
Make sure to also determine how you will be judging entries also!

STEP : 3 Extra Tips and stuff

Make sure to judge your contest entries often and fairly! Can't really tell about this one yet. But so far (with my entry), this is going pretty well. Your entry. You're going to be pretty biased about that you know, admit it or not.

Play nice kids! *ahem* Ohohoh. We're playing nice in our opinions.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:54 pm

RicH wrote:Has my contest been done before? I don't think so. Now why hasn't it been done before eh? Because it's not even a contest. It's a "give me an idea!" thread. You have a point.
Use the search feature to check. (*note*Make sure to check the original phunland.com forum as well.)

Is my contest overly simple or overly complex? Overly simple... maybe. Probably. Overly simple. In fact, there is no point. Again, you have a point.

Is my contest "stupid"? There seem to be widely varying opinions on this. Widely varying? You serious? It's terrible. 'Nuff said. I think it's OK, you think it's terrible. QED.
It is kinda... you know.

Does my contest have a well established set of rules that are not overly restraining on the participants? Could be developed a bit better. Those are rules? Huh. Barely, I guess. What's a reasonable size for an 'idea'? I do believe he specified that in the post.
Just make sure it has good rules(And a solid and easily understood objective). As I said, it could be improved.

If my contest needs a base scene (scene that others build their entries on), is it included in my first post? None is necessary. Captain Obvious ftw.[ :mrgreen: ]
'Nuff Said...

Does my contest have an ending date? I think this is kinda pointless. I would say the optimal ending date would be whenever the topic dies or when there are probably not going to be any more entries. An ending date is just there to serve a time limit for the people who make entries. More time means more work on your entry, and that means a better score. Put a time limit on, and it becomes more competitive. For the third time, you have a point. This one is immensely subjective.
Every contest should!

Do I tell everyone how I will judge their entries? Highly subjective, but yes. You know what his scoring system says? It says "I'm basically gonna rate your scenes based on how good it is in my eyes and input numbers in just to make you think I'm really scoring all of those entries equally, fairly, and with the same criteria. Ah, maybe.

Make sure to judge your contest entries often and fairly! Can't really tell about this one yet. But so far (with my entry), this is going pretty well. Your entry. You're going to be pretty biased about that you know, admit it or not. If he's grading the scene itself, I would've graded it a bit lower. If he's grading the contest, that's probably also a bit higher than what I would've said. Maybe you should submit a serious entry so we can see.

Play nice kids! *ahem* Ohohoh. We're playing nice in our opinions. I wouldn't call "This contest is bad you should feel bad" "playing nice".
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby RicH » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Someone Else wrote:Has my contest been done before? I don't think so. Now why hasn't it been done before eh? Because it's not even a contest. It's a "give me an idea!" thread. You have a point.

Is my contest overly simple or overly complex? Overly simple... maybe. Probably. Overly simple. In fact, there is no point. Again, you have a point.

Is my contest "stupid"? There seem to be widely varying opinions on this. Widely varying? You serious? It's terrible. 'Nuff said. I think it's OK, you think it's terrible. QED. I get it. Seriously. I'm not stupid. My point is, I just think my opinion is closer to the truth. And I want to show that and prove that, get it?
It is kinda... you know.

Does my contest have a well established set of rules that are not overly restraining on the participants? Could be developed a bit better. Those are rules? Huh. Barely, I guess. What's a reasonable size for an 'idea'? I do believe he specified that in the post. I am questioning how he specified that. "(Not like 100m squared of water)"? So what about a 99 squared meters of water? How small is reasonable exactly?
Just make sure it has good rules(And a solid and easily understood objective). As I said, it could be improved.

If my contest needs a base scene (scene that others build their entries on), is it included in my first post? None is necessary. Captain Obvious ftw.[ :mrgreen: ]
'Nuff Said...

Does my contest have an ending date? I think this is kinda pointless. I would say the optimal ending date would be whenever the topic dies or when there are probably not going to be any more entries. An ending date is just there to serve a time limit for the people who make entries. More time means more work on your entry, and that means a better score. Put a time limit on, and it becomes more competitive. For the third time, you have a point. This one is immensely subjective.
Every contest should!

Do I tell everyone how I will judge their entries? Highly subjective, but yes. You know what his scoring system says? It says "I'm basically gonna rate your scenes based on how good it is in my eyes and input numbers in just to make you think I'm really scoring all of those entries equally, fairly, and with the same criteria. Ah, maybe.

Make sure to judge your contest entries often and fairly! Can't really tell about this one yet. But so far (with my entry), this is going pretty well. Your entry. You're going to be pretty biased about that you know, admit it or not. If he's grading the scene itself, I would've graded it a bit lower. If he's grading the contest, that's probably also a bit higher than what I would've said. Maybe you should submit a serious entry so we can see. That, http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details/20966 and http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=41233, were serious entries. D:

Play nice kids! *ahem* Ohohoh. We're playing nice in our opinions. I wouldn't call "This contest is bad you should feel bad" "playing nice". I'm not saying that he should feel bad. I'm saying he should improve on it. You don't get it? Awww. I was playing on your whole "my opinion, your opinion" thing. There are times where some are wrong and some are righ. In this case, I do believe I am right. But your probably gonna go all "This is very subjective" on me, so meh. All I'm trying to do is make him see that this contest is just not good enough. I'm not saying he should stop making them, I'm saying before he makes them, he has to be sure it's good.

Seriously, those are good entries right there : http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details/20966 and http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=41233. They are great ideas.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby TC42 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:31 pm

[RANT]
Why is it that every time a contest is submitted by a noob, we have to jump all over it, and try to find ever freakin' flaw in the contest?! If you don't have advice or a submission, shut up. Man, that irritates me. If I were a mod, I would delete this whole 'contest is crap vs contest is cool' argument.

Don't try to argue back, as I will simply ignore it.
[/RANT]

Sorry 'bout that. But we must remember that this is the contests forum, not the living room. There is a place for arguments, and this is not it.

/ TC42
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby Someone Else » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 am

THANK YOU TC42!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
You have no idea how relieved I am that someone has violently interjected into the argument and shattered it to pieces.
And if RicH doesn't seem to get those last four words, then I announce that I will no longer make any attempt at continuing any argument in this topic. If anyone does try to continue it, I will simply quote myself saying "I win." and stop.

If the above posts are how people often behave in the Living Room, that's one more reason why I never go there and will never take it seriously as a forum and will never take the people who never leave there seriously as forum users.

Okay, now back to the contest thing. Back on topic.

Byung-Hoon, would you mind grading RicH's entries? I'm curious as to how they will come out.

Also, I was wondering if you were just grading my scene or the contest I stuck it in.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:11 am

:lol: Somebody agrees with you and you go all-caps about it? That doesn't necessarily make you win. If that were true, I would've "won" this "argument" in the first page. You don't even have to read my replies in an aggressive tone; I didn't type them that way. But alas, whatever I say is ignored, so here I am saying I'm right, you're wrong.

Now go grade those entries, "contest" poster.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 am

No, I go all-caps that someone wanted to stop the argument. My brain wants me to continue it, but I won't.
And besides,
Someone Else wrote:I win.

I now hereby extend the "I win." rule to any potential argument on a contest. The "I win." rule simply means that I don't want to argue. I agree with TC42 in that sense.

And Byung-Hoon, I know it hasn't been long since I originally requested it, but we're all waiting for those entries of RicH's to be graded.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 am

Someone Else wrote:No, I go all-caps that someone wanted to stop the argument. My brain wants me to continue it, but I won't.
And besides,

I now hereby extend the "I win." rule to any potential argument on a contest. The "I win." rule simply means that I don't want to argue. I agree with TC42 in that sense.

Pretty immature there. Declaring yourself a "winner". Childish. It doesn't have to be an aggressive argument though. I was just proving some points I have. In fact, I've proved all of them. And you agreed. That was all there is to it.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 am

Now you're going off-topic and insulting me. Hm. :| Also,

basically means "I don't want to argue." I thought you would figure that out.

I will now try to grade your entries as objectively as I can and we will compare that to Byung-Hoon's grade when it comes in.

For the gun:
Originality = 5/10 As you said, Paradigm's tutorial is common knowledge. But, Very interesting design of the gun and bullets.
Fun to Play Around With = 5/5
Scripting = 0/5
Total = 10/20 Okay.

For the drop tower thingamabobber:
Originalty = 7/10 I've never seen anything like it.
Fun to Play Around With = 1/5 Rather boring, actually.
Scripting = 0/5
Total = 8/20 C'mon. You can do better than that. I think. Much more doubtful that you will.

This is why I asked for serious entries.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:11 am

Someone Else wrote:Now you're going off-topic[Hello? Anyone there? We've been discussing this for the past posts now.] and insulting me. That wasn't even an insult. Just stating what I see. Hm. :| Also,

basically means "I don't want to argue." I thought you would figure that out. I understand what it means. I just don't understand why say it that way? Wth? I win? It is very obnoxious to say the least.

I will now try to grade your entries as objectively as I can and we will compare that to Byung-Hoon's grade when it comes in.

For the gun:
Originality = 5/10 As you said, Paradigm's tutorial is common knowledge. But, Very interesting design of the gun and bullets.
Scripting = 0/5
Total = 10/20 Okay.

For the drop tower thingamabobber:
Scripting = 0/5
Total = 8/20 C'mon. You can do better than that. I think. Much more doubtful that you will.

This is why I asked for serious entries.

Btw, if the scene doesn't have scripting, he didn''t count it in. So basically, if the scene doesn't have scripting, it's only over 15. And here's another one: http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details/21517 :D I love it when people talk about what I make.

Pretty loose scoring though, no scene has equal ground.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 am

Ah, here we go again.

Maybe I just want to be obnoxious?

*looking back on when he graded mine*

Oh wow. So I am a fail. Adjusted rankings for the first two:

The Gun:
Scripting = NA
Total = 10/15 Okay. Okay was actually a bit of a stretch with the previous, lower score. Now it's about right.

The Drop Tower:
Scripting = NA
Total = 8/15 Outright mediocre.

The Catapult Thing:
Originalty = 4/10 As you said in the comments, it's pretty much not original at all. But I bumped it up a bit because it's just awesome that way.
Fun to Play Around With = 5/5 Very cool scene.
Scripting = 1/5
Total = 9/20 I really want this to be higher. But no...

Allright, no more grades from me.

And now there's three entries for you to grade, Byung-Hoon.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 am

RicH wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
Maybe I just want to be obnoxious?
RicH wrote:Nope, you lose.
Woop.

Haha. Just messing with you though.

Pretty low scores for my awesome scenes to say the least. YOU WILL REGRET THAT. :evil:
Last edited by RicH on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Dare » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 am

How about we let this contest wither and die like we should've before all of you started a flame war?
ImageImage
TC42 wrote:Dare, you are creepy.

Official Algobox Admin! Please PM me if you have any issues regarding Algobox.
Dare

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 am

Don't be too serious, man. We have entries you know. Btw, that wasn't a flame war, at all. Just a debate blah blah. :problem:
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Dare » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:44 am

When he says ideas, does he mean scenes?
ImageImage

Dare

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:30 am

Nope. That's why it's too vague. It can probably be not-Algodoo related. :lol:
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Dare » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 am

Ok, then I have a great idea.

Let this contest die.

I win, right?
ImageImage

Dare

Postby RicH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am

Not yet. We have entries to be judged.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 pm

RicH wrote:Pretty low scores for my awesome scenes to say the least. YOU WILL REGRET THAT. :evil:

I would say putting the catapult thing on there was a bad move. The very simple script made your score plummet like a rock.
Then again, "as objectively as I can" is probably pretty biased. It probably just means "trying to eliminate bias by trying to stay as close to the rules laid down by Byung-Hoon as I can." Case in Point:

Dare, I will now rate your entry. If I can even call it that.

Let the Topic Die:
Originality = 0/10 This has been going on for as long as forums have existed.
Fun to Play Around With = 0/5 Hard to get anything out of a dead topic. This one particularly.
Scripting = NA
Total = 0/15 Congratulations! You Win The Prize for Obtaining The Lowest Score Possible, If You Choose To Accept It.
Note that you probably would get a higher score if I were to simply give it a number, 1-20.

And Byung-Hoon, we are still waiting.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Chronos » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 am

Dare wrote:Ok, then I have a great idea.

Let this contest die.

I win, right?

Yes, yes, and yes. Everyone, listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 am

Chronos wrote:
Dare wrote:Ok, then I have a great idea.

Let this contest die.

I win, right?

Yes, yes, and yes. Everyone, listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about.

RicH wrote:Not yet. We have entries to be judged.

:|
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby RicH » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:58 am

@Chronos: Hell, you could've just NOT posted and then let it die. As you're saying something that's already been said. :|
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Chronos » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Well I know for a fact it won't die, because you two keep wanted entries to be judged.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Byung-Hoon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Oh! Sorry! Thought the first page was the last xD Grading now...
Byung-Hoon

Postby Byung-Hoon » Sun May 01, 2011 12:06 am

Tower Drop:
-Originality (8/10)
-Fun to Play Around With (4/5)
-Scripting (5/5)
-1 point for SO MUCH LAG!!! (Now Algodoo is... 1/4 of it's normal speed -.-)
-1 point for not working

Total (15/20)

SGDFASOS:
-Originality (7/10)
-Fun to Play Around With (5/5)
-Scripting (5/5) (Higher scores mean not much scripting so that's better most of the time!)
+1 point for Realism

Total (18/20)

Final Score (16.5/20) This will be on the scoreboard
Byung-Hoon

PreviousNext

Return to Contests