Lock and Robot contest

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Lock and Robot contest

Postby Someone Else » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 am

There were a couple lock contests on Phun, but I think those were just a lock, and not a lock and a robot thingy like this contest.
By the way, this is my first post period.

In the base scene, I have included an obstacle course, a test vehicle/robot, 2 keys, a lock that would open if you shoved an icepick in it, another lock that is an agility test that is NOT TO BE MESSED WITH, and a couple other obstacles designed to test your vehicle.

You must build a vehicle AND a lock.

Lock Requirements

I must be able to grab a key, shove it into the lock, and the door either opens or it doesn't. If the door doesn't open, I will return the key to its slot. If there are more keys, I will repeat the process with them. If no keys work or if multiple keys work, I will warn whoever posted the scene. If it still doesn't work right, whoever uploaded the scene is DISQUALIFIED. Reliability is key...........get it? :)

Other mandatory requirements are:

I must not be able to see the guts of your lock
It all must fit within the green box I've marked, aside from the end of the key slot and the "opening mechanism". Mine complies.
No cheating or exploiting loopholes, including having part of the lock way outside the area the screen can see.

Bonuses and Penalties

Simplicity- make something VERY SIMPLE that still works. +10
Complexity- Build an ubercomplex mechanical marvel (quoting another uploader on these first two bonuses) +10
Lag-O-Matic- Offsets Complexity award, my computer is already on the brink of lagging. -10
Ease of Use- Take the first paragraph under Lock Requirements, add a sign saying whether or not you've got the right key, and use a gizmo that sucks the key in for 30 pts. 0 - +30
No Scripting- other than airFrictionMult. +10
Alternate Energy- No motor hinges. +30
Free Energy- No engines of any sort. +100
Honest Loophole- Find, report, but DON'T EXPLOIT a loophole in the lock rules. +40
Relockable- Remove the key and the door closes.

Robot Requirements

It all must fit within the red and blue boxes.
No cheating or exploiting loopholes, including having invisible parts outside the boxes or cutting laser beams to open doors without first unlocking them.
Non-cutting lasers are OK, if and only if they are sensors or just for show. Scripted beams are NOT OKAY.
The vehicle must be able to open both locks- that is, both your lock and my combo lock.
The vehicle must be able to squeeze through both doors.
You cannot modify the scene in any way, other than the robot/vehicle, instruction box, lock, and keys.
Creative folding is COMPLETELY OK.

More bonuses and penalties-these are separate from the bonuses and penalties for the lock.

Simplicity- make something VERY SIMPLE that still works. +10
Complexity- Build an ubercomplex mechanical marvel (quoting another uploader on these first two bonuses) +10
Lag-O-Matic- Offsets Complexity award, my computer is still on the brink of lagging. -10
Ease of Contols- Very intuitive controls, or none at all. 0 - +50
Ease of Use- How easy it is to finish the course, whether you control it or the computer. 0 - +50
No Scripting- other than airFrictionMult. +10
Alternate Energy- No motor hinges. +30
Free Energy- No engines of any sort. +100
Honest Loophole- Find, report, but DON'T EXPLOIT a loophole in the vehicle rules. +40
Utter Compactification- Fit the whole vehicle into the blue box. +15
Automation- Nuff' said. If it still works when I rearrange the keys, +200. If not, +100.

When I think all the entries are in, I will plan to end the contest in a week. If anyone objects, I will extend it.
I will add even more bonus points to anyone whose machine exceeds mine however I see fit. This could be anything not already mentioned.

Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 71.07 kB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 2
download
Last edited by Someone Else on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Re: Lock and robot contest

Postby Kilinich » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:05 am

huh? :crazy:

1st post :clap:
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Re: Lock and Robot contest

Postby daniels220 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Phundamentalist = someone who doesn't use Thyme (scripting), or uses it as little as possible, i.e. only to reduce lag in very complex scenes. For instance:

Rating: rated 8.9
Filesize: 291.56 kB
Comments: 20
Ratings: 31
download

Phunlet friendly applies to scripted devices, like a stabilizer, sensor or what-have-you, that don't use any Scene.my.* variables (or only use them for data output, like position/velocity sensors) and therefore can be loaded into a scene using Load phunlet... and work.

Also I agree with Kilinich, great first post!
daniels220

Postby Kilinich » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:52 pm

For some crazy reason, the website refuses to let me upload my scene as an attachment or into Algobox. Anyone got any ideas on how I could bypass that and get my stuff onto an edit for this post? I will post my scene as soon as I can. :(

You must upload scenes to algobox and put link here (or "scene" tag).
And you better find out more about algodoo before start any contest.
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Kilinich wrote:
Someone Else wrote:For some crazy reason, the website refuses to let me upload my scene as an attachment or into Algobox. Anyone got any ideas on how I could bypass that and get my stuff onto an edit for this post? I will post my scene as soon as I can. :(

You must upload scenes to algobox and put link here (or "scene" tag).
And you better find out more about algodoo before start any contest.

That's the problem. When I go to the upload browser on the attachments thing or on Algobox, I cannot find my scene. However, I can find some other scenes of mine and a ton of scenes Algodoo came with. But, I can easily find all my scenes (including this contest) on the load scene browser on Algodoo. I need help!

P.S. I am a Phundamentalist. :D
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby Chronos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Go to My Documents/Algodoo/Scenes, not Program Files/Algodoo/Scenes. ;)
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:28 am

Chronos wrote:Go to My Documents/Algodoo/Scenes, not Program Files/Algodoo/Scenes. ;)

THANK YOU!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You will probably find that the scene is edited into the first post before you even read these words. :)

But, I run Algodoo off a USB thumb drive, and about half of my point there is so I can run my scenes on any machine that has the necessary C++ libraries and such. However, the program saves my scenes under My Documents, on the hard drive. Could you (or anybody else for that matter) tell me how to change the default folder that Algodoo saves to- that is, to the equivalent of the Program Files/Algodoo/Scenes on the USB drive.

Please note that I am running Windows, am not an administrator, and cannot access the real Program Files or anything else that is usually in drive C, except, basically, My Documents. This is a school-issued laptop, and I am very surprised that the website you're on right now is not blocked as a forum. Talk about a virtual iron fist. :x

By the way, would you agree that the cheesiness of the title of this contest does not accurately describe the contest itself? :?
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Chronos » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm

There's no way to change the save directory, but you can just move the files to the flash drive if you want.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks a lot for the info (and the scene) :) , but this is getting a little off-topic. :(

So, please, don't post something unless it's actually about the contest or otherwise absolutely necessary. I hate to do this, but I fear I have to. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

By the way, Kilinich, I hope the scene clarifies things for you.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Return to Contests