Water Poweh!

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Water Poweh!

Postby xkill_joyx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:22 am

*EDIT 12:07 4/20/10*
Hello,
The idea is to use water to power a vehicle with no hinge motors. This concept of using the water was challenging for me so I thought I would share it with the Algodoo community and see what you could come up with. This isn't a contest, more of a challenge to see who can come up with the best design.

Couple of rules:
    No scripting
    No hinge motors can be used with the exception of you can use a motor as long as it isn't relying on that motor to power the vehicle. You can incorporate motors as assisting devices. Rather to move parts or what have you aslong as they aren't involved in actually forwarding the vehicle which includes using them as brakes.
    Concept must fit with the screen at 1M, so we don't break the program due to too much water particles.

Other than that-Have fun.

Best regards,
Kill_Joy

Please note: This scene is not an entry is is only for example of how the water could be used. The water spawner is for your convenience and is not to be used in your scene or entry. Sorry, I completely forgot to remove it before posting.
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 144.62 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download
Last edited by xkill_joyx on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
xkill_joyx

Re: Water Poweh!

Postby Nxdt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

Until you can spell Power right i'm not going to enter this... Challenge... to make you something.
Read this please; Contest Rules and Guidelines
Nxdt

Postby Mystery » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:57 am

He spelt it right, he was using internet slang.
And it follows the "Contest rules and guidelines" anyway.
Mystery

Postby Nxdt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:39 pm

There is no scoring system, he wants you to fix his engine for him and then put it in a car. It isn't even a contest, he even says so in his post - The first rule of a contest is to make it a contest. They should have a scoring system so it is competitvie - Nodody enters a contest if they can't win it. And when since did an "h" replace an "r" these people should get help with their speach and pronunciation.
Nxdt

Postby electronicboy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 pm

actually, he created an water engine, and wants too see what other people can come up with.
and there are quite a lot of just for fun contest's, in which quite a few of them have been entered by some of the well respected members.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Nxdt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Actually, the negitive damping of the springs turn the blades which in turn push the water round. The gear then collides with the water and the blades with makes it turn. The water is there to act as a gear between the spinning central spring engine and the gear. The water actually just creates more friction and lowers the efficency. And I mean't nodody enters a contest if it is a request to see who can make me the best...

And Kill_Joy - Decrease the dampening on the spring to -0.8, Incease its strength to 80 and then clone this spring several times round the edge of the central circle. Also make the black gear wheel on the side collide only with water. Use Ctrl A to select all, and descrease friction to 0. Now it should work well.
Nxdt

Postby Mystery » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 pm

electronic boy makes a good point this is a just for fun contest :) I think i might make something.
Mystery

Postby xkill_joyx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Nxdt wrote:Until you can spell Power right i'm not going to enter this... Challenge... to make you something.
Read this please; Contest Rules and Guidelines

Then please close this thread if I have broken the TOS. Secondly I don't mean for someone to do my work for me. There no workmanship or honor in that. I have made 3 designs so far and all of them have failed so I thought it would be a "challenge" for some of the Algodoo buffs like myself.
xkill_joyx

Postby xkill_joyx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Nxdt wrote:And Kill_Joy - Decrease the dampening on the spring to -0.8, Incease its strength to 80 and then clone this spring several times round the edge of the central circle. Also make the black gear wheel on the side collide only with water. Use Ctrl A to select all, and descrease friction to 0. Now it should work well.

Oh I should have pointed that out. I didn't want to post a working engine because then that would have given people an idea to base their design on but could still see how the water could be used.

The engine is the easy part. The trick for me is when I incorporate everything together the density of the vehicle causes my spring engine to stop working or bug out. Just an FYI it can get tricky but it appears most of you have Algodoo figured out. :crazy:
xkill_joyx

Postby xkill_joyx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Mystery wrote:electronic boy makes a good point this is a just for fun contest :) I think i might make something.

Should I just edit it the main post and call it a contest? I mean, games are for fun right? :o
xkill_joyx

Postby xkill_joyx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:22 pm

My entry, Its not fast or reliable just yet. I find it when the water pressure gets low the pistons like to bug out. It refills itself, just hold the Down arrow to inguage the clutch. Enjoi.

Rating: rated 4.5
Filesize: 93.2 kB
Ratings: 2
download
xkill_joyx

Postby Nxdt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:11 pm

xkill_joyx wrote:
Mystery wrote:electronic boy makes a good point this is a just for fun contest :) I think i might make something.

Should I just edit it the main post and call it a contest? I mean, games are for fun right? :o

No. I thought this was a Make me a... type of thing, not a fun contest so i'm sorry if i've annoyed anyone.
I see that you just want to see waht other people could come up with using a similar idea so i apologise for the misunderstanding. :oops:
Nxdt

Postby TimTheOne » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:03 pm

xkill_joyx wrote:Couple of rules:
[list]No scripting of any sort
download

You say there's no scripting allowed, however you use a script to spawn water in your example scene.
TimTheOne

Postby xkill_joyx » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:07 pm

TimTheOne wrote:
xkill_joyx wrote:Couple of rules:
[list]No scripting of any sort
download

You say there's no scripting allowed, however you use a script to spawn water in your example scene.

Please excuse that scene,
I realize that a water spawner is script and I shouldn't incorporated it in that scene. I intended to use that scene just for an example. I added that mostly to save you guys the incovenience of having to make liquid and I didn't want to pre make water because I don't other users PC specs.
This is my first thread and I'm new to Algodoo so I'm sorry for that and I'll try to be more cautious in the future. I'm going to fix that in the main post just to aviod further confusion of where scripting is allowed.
xkill_joyx

Postby Scorpion » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Do you mean anything like this? :P

Rating: rated 5.2
Filesize: 39.58 kB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 4
download
Scorpion

Postby ivanoski » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:20 am

Here is my entry:

Water Powered Car Contest Entry by ivanoski

a gravity fed watered propelled car

Filesize: 66.75 kB
Comments: 1
download
Phun is addicting
ivanoski

Postby garrus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm

i step out
Last edited by garrus on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrus

Postby xkill_joyx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:44 am

Wow you guys been at it! Now there is no judging. I'm just going to tell you guys what I think and who's scene works best overall.

Ivanoski: :clap: Very fluid motion [ hence hence], run time is lacking in this design. But has the best efficiency and speed.

Scorpion: Very nice also, but is very basic and didn't really have a good run time.

Garrus: Correct me if I'm wrong but those look like spawners? I'm not as experienced in all aspects like some of the algodoo users but I think the is DQ, please let me know.
xkill_joyx

Postby ivanoski » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 am

Filesize: 66.75 kB
Comments: 1
download

UPDATE: performance fix, more water, faster!, lasts longer! behold! (if it lags on crappy computer just erase some water or erase the ruler
Phun is addicting
ivanoski

Postby garrus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm

xkill_joyx wrote:Wow you guys been at it! Now there is no judging. I'm just going to tell you guys what I think and who's scene works best overall.

Ivanoski: :clap: Very fluid motion [ hence hence], run time is lacking in this design. But has the best efficiency and speed.

Scorpion: Very nice also, but is very basic and didn't really have a good run time.

Garrus: Correct me if I'm wrong but those look like spawners? I'm not as experienced in all aspects like some of the algodoo users but I think the is DQ, please let me know.

yes they are spawners, i just didn't pay attention, i will fix it and replace the existing scene
garrus

Postby MblK1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Rating: rated 5.8
Filesize: 37.22 kB
Comments: 5
Ratings: 3
download

Strange that nobody tried to compress water :)
Also it could be with the turbine, and is faster, but the turbine it is too simple :)
MblK1

Postby xkill_joyx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 pm

MblK1 wrote:
Rating: rated 5.8
Filesize: 37.22 kB
Comments: 5
Ratings: 3
download

Strange that nobody tried to compress water :)
Also it could be with the turbine, and is faster, but the turbine it is too simple :)

Straight god-like! :clap: I would say this design is about as good as its gonna get. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
Xkill
xkill_joyx

Return to Contests