Toy Car Contest

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Toy Car Contest

Postby Sonic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Your job is to make a toy car that finishes the course as fast as possible. The track is just a straight line, so you don't need to worry about anything crazy.
The rules:
Your car must fit in the car template box.
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 10.1 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

It must move only through gravity power. No other forms of propulsion.
You may not use thyme.
All attributes (weight, density, friction, restitution, and air friction) must remain unchanged in your car.
Your car must have two wheels and a body.
Your car [b]cannot[b] simply be a square on wheels.
You can use any kind of wheels you want (i.e. squares, gears, circles, etc.)

Your car will be raced against another persons, and I will judge it by eye, so I apoligize in advance. The winner will be announced on 12/18 (more or less, I might be late if I can't get to a computer.) And, please, upload your car as a phunlet. Make it easy on me!

Current leader:
Last edited by Sonic on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Re: Toy Car Contest

Postby izacque » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:43 pm

sooo... the only deciding factor is speed? and the car has to be more than just a box with two wheels? and the course is gonna be flat? and we can't edit the attributes? This contest is WAY too easy.
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby Sonic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 pm

No I meant it actually has to look somewhat like a car.
Sonic

Postby davidz40 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:19 pm

if vehicles are racing on a straight line, and powered by gravity only, the only deciding factor is air friction (since there's no friction on hinges) + as small and light wheels as possible (gravity is not wasted in form of rotational momentum of wheels)
So for me, the contest in present form is a fail.
Maybe create some funny looking toy-like track with hills, loops etc. Gravity power only is good idea.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Sonic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Ok. I'll add hills. Loops don't work in Phun.
Sonic

Postby daniels220 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Loops do work, you just have to use Thyme. Make the loop in 3 pieces, so that when the car collides with the 3rd (upper-left) one, it changes the first (lower-right) to no collision and the 4th (lower left) to normal collision.

It is somewhat difficult to complete a loop on gravity power alone, though, I would think. Make sure you test your loops by just rolling a little circle through them. If it's even fairly close to falling, make the loop tighter.
daniels220

Postby Sonic » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:24 am

I don't want to use thyme. NO LOOPS!
Sonic

Postby Bronie12345 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

must remain unchanged...
that means like the way they are created, or may not change while the sim is running?
When you make a comment at a scene, at least be brave enough to subscribe to that scene...
Don't go into a topic unprepared... Read the whole topic, including all the comments, before posting.

92% of teenagers have resorted to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace/Facebook were completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.
Bronie12345

Postby RA2lover » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:56 pm

scripting is not allowed, so, no changes.

but air friction of an object can change according to its angle and speed... so all entries would be invalid
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Bronie12345 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 pm

i mean, they have to stay like you created them with a tool, or can you change with the sliders?
When you make a comment at a scene, at least be brave enough to subscribe to that scene...
Don't go into a topic unprepared... Read the whole topic, including all the comments, before posting.

92% of teenagers have resorted to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace/Facebook were completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.
Bronie12345

Postby RicH » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am

daniels220 wrote:Loops do work, you just have to use Thyme.

Again with the thyme thing. It is possible with physical systems.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby RA2lover » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:19 pm

it's possible, but it takes a heckuvalotta button pressure for activation. might simplify the system later then upload it(basically, its a moving ramp which changes its angle according to the direction a lever(on the loop itself) is pulled).
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Return to Contests