Algodoo BattleBot competition

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Algodoo BattleBot competition

Postby Bronie12345 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm

some of you might remember the battlebot contest from the phunland forums.
this one is based on that, except for that it is for algodoo only, and it has some extra limitations.
during the contest, extra rules can be added, and rules can be changed

how this contest works:
the contest will be played in rounds.
every round has a max entrants of 8 users/players/robots...
when the round is full, it will start (unless nobody enters anymore)
it's a knock-out race, but every fight will be played 5 times on my comp to decide wich one is the winner in a fair way...

how to win:
your robot is in the arena, when it starts, your robot will make an action...
whn the other robot is immobilized or neutralized, you win (so the other one can't fight back or push your robot)

note:
the sim will run on 2khz on my comp for the best collisions, and so the best fight...
make sure your robot is compitable with this frequency.

rules:
your battlebot must fit inside a box of 3x5 meter.
scene.my variables should include your initials (so for me: scene.my.RB<varname>)
lasers are only allowed in cutters, spawning and Controllers (the thing that thinks in your robot)
max friction = 10.000 (inside the robot = no limit)
max density: inside the robot=200 , on body or weapons=50
max mass: inside the robot=20 , on body or weapons=40
max restitution: inside the robot=10, on body or weapons=1
no editing to the scene
min friction = 0
min density: inside the robot=0.05 , on body or weapons=0.1
min restitution = 0
no attraction allowed
inside the robot killers allowed, not in weapons (or anything that can touch the other robot)
inside the robot immortal allowerd, not in anything that touches the other robot.
no script weapons (like a bullet that changes the target object's scripting)
all body parts and weapons must have collideset 4 (C) in it (everything that could collide with the other bot)
k-wings or things based on that are allowed.
you may have 1 object that always turns the robot facing to the opponent
no fixates allowed
max break limit of hinges: inside weapons=100 , on body=25 , inside your robot=60

cutting lasers are allowed with these limitations:
  1. the laser may not cut more than once in a second (use a timer for that)
  2. the laser may not have a longer fadeDist than 1 meter

scritping rules:
spawning allowed (as long as the spawned object's mass doesnt exceed 10% of the original robot's mass.
physical changing of an object only allowed INSIDE the robot.

tips:
use some scripted timers or pulsing stuff for the cutters
use k-probe's for controlling your robot
use laser as sensors
you are allowed to loophole the rules (for now)

example:
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 29.01 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 1
download
Last edited by Bronie12345 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
When you make a comment at a scene, at least be brave enough to subscribe to that scene...
Don't go into a topic unprepared... Read the whole topic, including all the comments, before posting.

92% of teenagers have resorted to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace/Facebook were completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.
Bronie12345

Re: Algodoo BattleBot competition

Postby Nxdt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:08 pm

This seems pretty interesting, i'll see what i can come up with.
Nxdt

Postby RA2lover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:32 pm

are we allowed to use cutter lasers(they weren't specified in rules, and someone could use it to destroy the opponent's IC)?
is using immortals as a boolean variable allowed?
what about motor-powered beacons?
hinge removal by scene.my variables counts as physical object changing?
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Bronie12345 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Q. are we allowed to use cutter lasers(they weren't specified in rules, and someone could use it to destroy the opponent's IC)?
A. yes, you can use cutting lasers, but they may not cut mroe than1 time in a second, and the distance may not be more than 1 meter.

Q. is using immortals as a boolean variable allowed?
A. no, because then there will be an immortal object in the robot.

Q. what about motor-powered beacons?
A. as long as they are controlled by the IC (it can activate something, but may not be changed)

Q. hinge removal by scene.my variables counts as physical object changing?
A. yes, a hinge is in real life a physical object, so when you delete that object, it is physical changing
When you make a comment at a scene, at least be brave enough to subscribe to that scene...
Don't go into a topic unprepared... Read the whole topic, including all the comments, before posting.

92% of teenagers have resorted to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace/Facebook were completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.
Bronie12345

Postby StephenAlverez » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:50 am

When will the contest end, or has it already ended
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby Bronie12345 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:05 pm

it is not ended yet...
it will be going in rounds. (so the contest can only die, not stop)
every round has a max of 8 entrants...

Bronie12345

Postby Mystery » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:35 am

So let me get this straight, robots have to be automatic using your IC as the brain and your strange thruster as propulsion?
Can we edit the IC I'll like to have mine in the robot.
Mystery

Postby Bronie12345 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:53 am

you can use multiple of them...
I wrote:no editing to the IC or the thruster (i will replace them with mine, and then check if it still works)

Bronie12345

Postby RA2lover » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:47 am

are we allowed to shrink the IC(re-scaling it, or even cutting the parts you need)
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Bronie12345 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:48 am

you may shrink it (but it will function a bit less-well), but you may not cut it...
i may provide custom ICs that will be asked...
so, what do you specifically need in a custom IC? (like, what gates, and how many of them)

Bronie12345

Postby Mystery » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:47 am

I like this idea but i'm still a little confused about game itself mainly two rules that negate each other.

scripting only allowed for simple stuff like activating the laser or making refractiveIndex to 0 (if you're not sure if your scripts are allowed, upload them as an ALPHA entry)

No scripting, that fine makes it fair for every one regardless of their scripting skill.

the robot must be controlled by the provided IC

The IC that uses Thyme, thyme that would require scripting skill to use

So i'm feeling that this is aimed at phundamentalist but can only be used effectively by thymists?
Mystery

Postby Bronie12345 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:39 pm

this also can be used be effective thinkers (think in logics or binary, and you'll fully understand)
but ill edit the rules a bit so it also will be more fair for phundamentalists

Bronie12345

Postby Jaxc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 pm

this contest sounds like the swedish robot championship
Jaxc

Postby Bronie12345 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:03 am

swedish robot championship?
don't know anything about that XD

but i'd like to see some entries, so other ppl will also join (im still improving my example, so it will act faster and more precise)...
if you use it right, you can make it calculate everything, but that is a hell of a job...

Bronie12345

Postby Mystery » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:43 am

Make an example entry, a fully functional entry but exampley.
I'm really interested to this where this goes.
Mystery

Postby Jaxc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:01 am

or alteast i think so, movie from this years SM in the sumo class:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOkzhZxzkg
rules are simple, knock your compedetors out
Jaxc

Postby KarateBrot » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 pm

i think a robot contest with nearly full scripting restriction is not very clever. but if someone can build a mechanical robot that's interacting with it's environment he has got my full respect :thumbup:
KarateBrot

Postby Bronie12345 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:19 am

reason why i don't want scripting:
when you use a scripted robot, it is easy to hide a not-allowed script somewhere between the wall of thyme...
so it's easier to break the rules without getting caught...

so incase of scripting, i gave you my IC to use...
read the first post for updates

Bronie12345

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:03 am

The cool thing about thyme is there is no way to hide script no matter what the script will be in there. A probleam impossible to overcome.
Mystery

Postby Bronie12345 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:52 am

still, i won't change the rules so you can use thyme...
that's why i gave you the IC...

the new parts will be a button and a couple other ICs (with diffrent functions etc)

Bronie12345

Postby StephenAlverez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Mystery wrote:I like this idea but i'm still a little confused about game itself mainly two rules that negate each other.

scripting only allowed for simple stuff like activating the laser or making refractiveIndex to 0 (if you're not sure if your scripts are allowed, upload them as an ALPHA entry)

No scripting, that fine makes it fair for every one regardless of their scripting skill.

the robot must be controlled by the provided IC

The IC that uses Thyme, thyme that would require scripting skill to use

So i'm feeling that this is aimed at phundamentalist but can only be used effectively by thymists?

You'r right, but it isn't aimed for phundametalists or thymers, its aimed for the people in the middle, I am a decent phundametalist, and also know some thyme.

Mystery wrote:So let me get this straight, robots have to be automatic using your IC as the brain and your strange thruster as propulsion?
Can we edit the IC I'll like to have mine in the robot.

I agree with you there though, I can't even get the thruster to work with the IC, and is the robot supposed to be automatic?
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby Bronie12345 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:09 pm

i know why you all can't get it to work...
i found i problem in the IC...
will upload a fixed version in just a moment

EDIT:
no, it doesnt have to be automatic, but it is suggested, because when 2 robots have the same controls, it is hard to control them both at the same time...
i i also can't controll 2 robots at the same time by myself...

Bronie12345

Postby RA2lover » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:45 pm

ok, but to track the other robot we'll need math and trigonometry calculating units...
Jrv wrote:

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Bronie12345 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:04 pm

you don't need to track it...
real robots track eachother by visual, su i exect you guys to come with something that looks a bit like that

Bronie12345

Postby RA2lover » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:31 pm

ok

Rating: rated 6.6
Filesize: 25.14 kB
Comments: 4
Ratings: 6
download

so, you would still be able to use the motors to track your robot, orient it,then move forward closer to it...

if you want a good example of AI for that kind of robot, look no further than Roboforge. the program already does the math for you, but you canstill use math in the complex decision area.
Jrv wrote:

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Next

Return to Contests