[Closed] ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!!

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Re: ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!! (still need 5 more players)

Postby pnvv » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:29 pm

TheTinyTerror wrote:But that means there would be less bots than the last 2 seasons...

Ok, nevermind. Now that you've showed up crytek could just start it now or wait for 4 more people....

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby crytek » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 am

TheTinyTerror wrote:Hey Crytek, can you tell me if Spike is good for the contest? I also made him so he can run both ways up 8-) No need for self righting, it's built in.

Yeah I checked it out, and its good!
crytek

Postby AtomikB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Are we allowed to use more than A and B collision groups? I think this rule kills a lot of ideas.
I mean, you could allow every collision groups IF the pieces witch collide with C,D...I,J stay all IN the body of the bot and NEVER goes out.
This would be cool for 2 reasons:
-Unleash mechanical imagination, allows more sophisticated bots
- allows to the enemy bot to destroy the inner mechanism of our bot by shock for example, and vice-versa.

What do you think about that? ;)
AtomikB

Postby crytek » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:45 pm

AtomikB wrote:Are we allowed to use more than A and B collision groups? I think this rule kills a lot of ideas.
I mean, you could allow every collision groups IF the pieces witch collide with C,D...I,J stay all IN the body of the bot and NEVER goes out.
This would be cool for 2 reasons:
-Unleash mechanical imagination, allows more sophisticated bots
- allows to the enemy bot to destroy the inner mechanism of our bot by shock for example, and vice-versa.

What do you think about that? ;)

But if you had a weapon that collided with anything other than A and B, it would have no affect on the other bots since thats all the other bots collide with.
crytek

Postby AtomikB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 pm

Yeah I agree, but I'm not talking about weapons:
You could allow every collision groups IF the pieces witch collide with C,D...I,J stay all IN the body of the bot and NEVER goes out.

In other words:
A bot is basically a body with wheels and weapons. The weapon(s) have to be operated with inner mechanism(s) (inside the bot's body). So the inner mechaism dont touch the other bot! It's always inside and protected. So who cares if this pieces collide with only A and B? I mean, it can collide only with J, doesn't matters, because it will never goes out (except in some fight case, I'ill talk about that later).
So the parts that really need to collide with A and B are: body, weapons and wheels.

The advantage of removing this restruction is that it allows more complex mechanisms -> more powerful/creatives weapons
and also in hard fight case : more complex mechanisms -> more weakness -> more disarmament opportunities for the advesary (if a bot punch very hardly, the inner mechanism can be broken :twisted: )

I could bring you some cool stuff if you deliver the inner mechanism from this useless restriction :thumbup:

EDIT:
I made one: http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=91432
Very basic. The only problem is that I increased restitution of the big red part and decreased on some other pieces. Not a problem, selec the whole thing and set restitution to 0.5 ;)
AtomikB

Postby TheTinyTerror » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:08 pm

OMG YES THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't believe it! You are one of my favourite youtubers!
Do you seriously need to ask?
TheTinyTerror

Postby TheTinyTerror » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Do you seriously need to ask?
TheTinyTerror

Postby AtomikB » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi TheTinyTerror, are you talking to me or? :wtf: You know me on youtube?
AtomikB

Postby AtomikB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 am

Here is my new version of the bot. The first one was good, but not dangerous enough. I after some tests, I think this one is better.

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 277.18 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

I hope It will be entertaining! :thumbup:
AtomikB

Postby pnvv » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Certainly a lot prettier than mine :thumbup:

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby AtomikB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks! But I think it won't be allowed to enter the tournament because inner pieces doesn't collide with A and B. They are in the bot, so they never goes out, but it's breaking the rule anyway :mrgreen:
AtomikB

Postby pnvv » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 am

I felt the same way about the no scripting rule. Just imagine all the crazy scripted weapons we could have, if only it were allowed :D

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby AtomikB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:36 am

Well, I like this rule because I don't know how to script :lol:
More seriously, I think this rule is okay because in a real bot fight, you can't script the weapons, you are limited by laws of physics. You cannot spawn 50 circles il a millisecond. So I understand this rule. But I don't understant the "A and B rule".
AtomikB

Postby pnvv » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:21 am

I managed to build a pretty dangerous bot while obeying that rule, so it's definitely possible…

I also built another bot called "Mr. Disease" just to see how much fun I could potentially have if scripting were allowed. It basically worked by having a spear-like thing on one end which raised the restitution of all the parts it touched to an incredibly high value so it would bounce around uncontrollably to the point of destruction :D

However algodoo sometimes crashed whenever it touched the other bot, so the project was abandoned… and besides, scripting isn't allowed so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway :problem:

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby AtomikB » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Yes, you can do something dangerous with the "A and B rule" but bots are condemned to be terribly SIMPLE :| And definietly, potentials are really limited. I mean, just by allowing two or three more collision layers it would be so epic, and let people like me who like complex mechanisms to participate without giving up on realism, au contraire! :thumbup:
AtomikB

Postby crytek » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:14 am

AtomikB wrote:Thanks! But I think it won't be allowed to enter the tournament because inner pieces doesn't collide with A and B. They are in the bot, so they never goes out, but it's breaking the rule anyway :mrgreen:

I think its fine. I agree with your idea, so I'll make an adjustment to the rules.
crytek

Postby AtomikB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks! I hope it will help some others players to join :thumbup:
AtomikB

Postby pnvv » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 pm

He made an adjustment to the rules for my bot too, because technically my weapon was bigger than half a meter....

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby AtomikB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:00 pm

To Crytek: May be you don't know, but you can edit your garage scene really easily: open it in algodoo, make your modifications (here, rules) and change it's name. Then goes to algobox, on the scene's page and choose edit. Finally replace the previous file by the new one. And it's done! ;)
AtomikB

Postby crytek » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:12 pm

AtomikB wrote:To Crytek: May be you don't know, but you can edit your garage scene really easily: open it in algodoo, make your modifications (here, rules) and change it's name. Then goes to algobox, on the scene's page and choose edit. Finally replace the previous file by the new one. And it's done! ;)

Yeah, but I want people to actually read the forum post :P
crytek

Re: ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!! (still need 3 more players)

Postby Benjii » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:48 pm

I'll do it!
Give me a couple of days to actually make a robot though. I think the problem is that the large skills base that was here in 2009 has gone, leaving a few of us who want it back and a shitload of people that only want to make fucking marble races!
Maybe if nobody else's joining you could run it as a league point based system rather than a a tournament? That could work better with 6 people?
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes.
Benjii

Postby pnvv » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:02 am

Yeah, there used to be loads of people round here back in 09. I didn't have an account then but did look at the forums occasionally. Now half the time when I log on I'm the only person on the forum... seems like everyone decided algodoo was too easy and started playing around in things like Bullet physics and blender and stuff...

But the people that still remain on Algodoo need to learn that their precious community is close to dead and they need to revive it, don't ya think?

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby crytek » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:33 am

Benjii wrote:I'll do it!
Give me a couple of days to actually make a robot though. I think the problem is that the large skills base that was here in 2009 has gone, leaving a few of us who want it back and a shitload of people that only want to make fucking marble races!
Maybe if nobody else's joining you could run it as a league point based system rather than a a tournament? That could work better with 6 people?

Awesome! But I'd rather keep it as a tournament.
crytek

Postby faytree » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

3 Months later...

*snoozes*
waiting for semester break to come...
faytree

Postby pnvv » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:50 pm

faytree wrote:*snoozes*

Haha! so true.

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

PreviousNext

Return to Contests