Modding Phun

Post your tutorials here.

Modding Phun

Postby TC42 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 am

Whilst I was looking at some of the files that make up Phun 5.28, I noticed a neat little gui directory, with all the files for things like the icon for gravity among other similar things. Having done some game-modding in the past, I then decided to replace some of these files with my own, so I can now make my own skin for phun, similar to the skins that you can apply in algodoo. So here's how it's done:

Stuff you will need:
Photoshop (I use Photoshop 6) or Gimp (freeware)
Your mouse (or tablet)
Your brain (or a suitable robotic substitute)
Stock photos (if necessary)

First, go to Program files > Algodoo Phun Edition > data > textures. Here you'll find all that you need for modding the game.
You will want to back up these files, lest you lose them and have to reinstall Phun!!

So, lets modify, hmmm... the looks of the spring. So find the file spring.png, right click it, and select open with... > Photoshop. You may have to browse to get the right program, but that's not part of the tutorial. Screenshot:
tutorial1.jpg
tutorial1.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Okay, now in photoshop/gimp, change the image to whatever you want. Screenshot:
tutorial2.jpg
(63.14 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Now save it to desktop. Please remember to keep the original name of the file so you don't have to look it up later!

Alright, now delete the original spring.png (You backed it up, right?) and replace it with the one that you've edited.

Now you can power up Phun and see how you've done!

Here is the image of the completed mod:
Spring mod:
tutorial4.jpg
tutorial4.jpg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 2148 times

This tutorial only applies to Phun 5.28, however, so I might have to make a different one for algodoo. Also remember that the skin that you use will not show up in the scenes that you upload, it will only apply to your copy of the program. Now have phun, and remember to BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT THEM!!!! :D
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Re: Modding Phun

Postby Someone Else » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Hmm... Could this technique be used to fix the 1.8.5 Tracer Appearance Problem? That is, 1.8.5 tracers look funny compared to older tracers that everyone is used to? And this could be fixed simply by duplicating the Default 1.8.5 Skin under a different name and replacing the tracer image with the one in the Classic skin?

Is this possible?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Re: Modding Phun

Postby TC42 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 pm

Someone Else wrote:Hmm... Could this technique be used to fix the 1.8.5 Tracer Appearance Problem? That is, 1.8.5 tracers look funny compared to older tracers that everyone is used to? And this could be fixed simply by duplicating the Default 1.8.5 Skin under a different name and replacing the tracer image with the one in the Classic skin?

Is this possible?

Yessir, it is very much possible.

It's not at all easy, but it is possible. Since I don't want to type up a massive tutorial (think at least one, maybe two full pages) just PM me, and I'll tell you the step by step instructions in real-time.

But before you go off and try duplicating some files, note that you not only have to duplicate the files and put them in the right place, but you also have to duplicate, rename, and modify some cfg files. It's not simple.

Edit: I just made a downloadable skin that'll fix the tracers. Please read the read-me.
Tracer_bugfix.zip
READ THE READ ME FILE !! READ THE READ ME FILE !!
(871.29 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Return to Tutorials