need help with tires!

Post your tutorials here.

need help with tires!

Postby romeo26 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:57 am

i have a simple question: how do you make soft tires?

i checked everything and couldnt figure it out! thank you!
romeo26

Re: need help with tires!

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:08 am

There are a few methods.
The simplest method is as follows.
1. Create tire base, set collideset to none [0]
2. Create the outer edge of the tires with smaller circles (I've seen ovals work pretty well also)
3. Double hinge the circles onto the base
4. Adjust softness by changing the density of the base (The lighter the base the softer the tire)

But then that is just from me. Lets look around and see what other people have come up with.

Frank's guide to sweet suspension wrote:Soft Wheels
Soft wheels have their applications. They can do a lot of the little fast and sharp bumps with efficiency you could never get out of the main suspension. The problems are that they can reduce the traction of the wheel, many designs can get broken or tangled, and they often don't perform well at high speeds. There is only one basic design that I have ever found entirely satisfactory: an extremely low-density circle hinged in multiple places to an overlapping, smaller, regular-density circle. The smaller circle produces/transmits the power and only the larger circle normally makes contact with the ground. If both circles are aligned perfectly with each other, this design has no issues at reasonably high speeds and never breaks. It can still have grip issues, though, depending on how it's calibrated. I rarely doubt whether this design is better than an equivalent hard wheel, but I'm always asking myself that kind of question when I try other designs.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2826 - Frank's guide to sweet suspension
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1019 - Beginner's Guide to Superior Construction
If you aspiring to become an Algodoo engineer, treat those things like the bible.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=964
Kilinich has some of the best soft body wheels around (He doesn't mind people using his work as long as they give credit to him)

You can get creative and design something completely new
Rating: rated 5.9
Filesize: 78.78 kB
Comments: 5
Ratings: 3
download

Or you can do something simple
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 44.06 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 1
download

Golden Rule for design, KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)

What ever you do post your results so we can all see, originality gets an extra 10 points and also welcome to the forums.
Mystery

Re: need help with tires!

Postby romeo26 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:21 am

cool man...thanks!
romeo26

Return to Tutorials