Propulsion methods and thrusters

About advanced scenes, and the Thyme scripting language used in Algodoo.

Propulsion methods and thrusters

Postby rod_igo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:45 am

Heyy, sry to bother you all again, I'm working on that landspeeder (hover vehicle), and so far I made it hover like i wanted.

I'm having some difficult though with the propulsion. I couldn't find any phunlet or scene in algobox that suits me.
I need a small, super light weight form of propulsion, and the hovering mechanism uses high airFrictionMult, making the drag on it very high.
So, witch is the best mehod os propulsion to that scenario?
I've tried spawning, density changing wheels, KGne (the latter was way too big and doesn't work on a different scale). All of them didn't make enough thrust or made the craft too unstable.

ps: I'm trying to build it real size, and that's 3.4m lenght, and about .4 height on main body.
rod_igo

Re: Propulsion methods and thrusters

Postby electronicboy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:56 pm

high airfrictionmult?
a piston sytem with a block hitting the walls setting the blocks airfrictionmult to a variable declaired by a system of some sort.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Kilinich » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:01 pm

pick k-wing (half of it is enough) and give spawned circles initial speed (up)
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby davidz40 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:20 pm

See my reactionless thruster. May be tuned to any thrust, does not need air so doesn't create any air friction.
And I successfully used it to hover, because thrust can be controlled via hinge speed. Make the speed dependent on height (too low - increase speed) and on velocity (falling down - increase speed). By doing this way you can create stable hovering mechanism that doesn't oscillate up and down.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby rod_igo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

electronicboy wrote:high airfrictionmult?
a piston sytem with a block hitting the walls setting the blocks airfrictionmult to a variable declaired by a system of some sort.

Sorry, i didn't understand it, and the hovering part is done, all I need is something to make it move forward (and backwards)

Kilinich wrote:pick k-wing (half of it is enough) and give spawned circles initial speed (up)

What exactly that would do?
rod_igo

Postby RA2lover » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:11 pm

Would provide upwards thrust, which, by reading the forum posts, is not what you want.

i'll modify my thruster to fit the speds you want.

Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 5.29 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 2
download
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby rod_igo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Wow, thanks a lot RA2lover, I might even be able to modify it to use it as the hovering mechanism (current one kinda sucks), but then 90% of the credits would have to go to you :lol:
rod_igo

Return to Thyme scripting