Models of matter

Forums for educators and researchers to discuss educational aspects of Algodoo.

Models of matter

Postby korry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi, I have another problem - I want to show to studnets different models of some material (eg. water).
Gas and solid is easy. I model gas by ideal circles (no friction, 100% bounciness). This model is good for showing eqation between temperature and moleculs kinetic energy. And you can easy show difusion or Brownian motion.
Solid is represented by circles connected with springs.
But with liquids I have a problem - idea is simple, but realisation is a problem.
Liquids has a "molecular sphere" - area around molecules, every molecules inside sphere is attracted (others wasn't affected). My model of liquid is maded by circles, which has setted attraction. When I uncheck gravitation field, molecules are attracted together and "create" something like circle. But if I chceck gravity field, molecules accelerate and "leave" a box, where they was closed.
I try to set restitution less than 1, but it didn't work properly. Have anybody idea, how to model a liquid matter.
It will be good for explanantion of surface tension or capillarity (changin material's mass will be changed attraction between molecules and container).
Thanks
korry

Re: Models of matter

Postby davidz40 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Maybe make every water particle from two circles. One circle will have quadratic repulsion to keep molecules apart, second one linear attraction to keep them together. This way, they will bounce away from each other when too close, but attract molecules that want to escape.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Return to Algodoo for educators