Newton's wheel and color filters

Forums for educators and researchers to discuss educational aspects of Algodoo.

Newton's wheel and color filters

Postby korry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi,
is possible made in Algodoo Newton's color wheel like here?
I try something, but only, what I describe is Stroboscopic effect (if I set some RPM, the wheel looks as is stopped).
And when I think about colours in Algodoo, I looking for made colour filters in Algodoo, for combinate colours. I thing, that it might by made with Thyme (changing lasers colours, but I don't now how yet). Isn't here any other way to do this without Thyme?

Thanks for replies.
Korry
korry

Re: Newton's wheel and color filters

Postby prodibu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 am

----------------------------
Last edited by prodibu on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prodibu

Postby Mystery » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 pm

I believe the issue here is with the frame rate. I'm not sure but i don't think this effect can be replicated on computer's without deliberate motion blur and such.
Mystery

Postby electronicboy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Mystery is correct, you may be able to do it by using you computers graphics card software to create a deliberate motion blur, but there is no promise of it working or that your card's software having this function.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby korry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm

I try it in Algodoo, when I set RPM of wheel to max (600) and set fastest simulation (10x), I saw "weird" colour - not white or any grey shade.
Human eye recognises 24 images/sec, so i I made more than 24 rotations per sec, I should see white or gray if I use rainbow colours, or eg. yellow if I have green and red half-wheels.
I´m not sure, if it depends on graphics card - if I catch real Newtons wheel with camera, I will see it corectly. But if Algodoo doesn't "draw" any scene as simply images with graphics card framerate, you are right.
Solution is (by me) in use of Thyme - programme colour of rotating wheel. I thing, that link posted here is only model too.
But I thing, that Algodoo is an education tool, and I will be happy, if everything showed to students is made without programming.
Thanks
korry

Postby ducky21 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 pm

I wonder if this could be done with tracers...
edit: nope, here it is
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 34.49 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 1
download
ducky21

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:14 am

This can't be done with tracers as they don't mix evenly (Even with opacity set to 0.1) one color will always be on top, making it too dominant.
My best attempt was using a laser with thyme to mix the tracers evenly even still blue ends up dominant.
Almost.phz
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 382 times

Interesting though.
Mystery

Postby gradyfitz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 am

Though light blending in this way has not been added to Algodoo at the moment, the effect can be simulated by using the code:
Code: Select all
App.fadeScale = [1,1]; App.fadeColor = [0.8,0.8,0.8]
(the code is able to either be added in via the console (pressing F11), or copying and pasting in the code onto the background), then turning the background opacity to 0.

An example of this can be seen here:
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 16.82 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

Changing around various properties (such as motor speed, wheel opacity, App.fadeColor and the background opacity) can result in different blending qualities and different light intensity. In order to change App.fadeColor, simply open the console, and type "App.fadeColor = [" and then it is simply an array of three values which correspond to [R%/100, G%/100, B%/100], so in order to have a 10% colour carry through (10% is left behind the new set) you would use the values "0.1,0.1,0.1", as you move closer to [1.0,1.0,1.0], panning the view will have more of an effect, keep this in mind when choosing new values. After you've typed your three values separated by commas, you should then type an ending square bracket ("]") and press enter to apply this.

This technique is a work around, so can be used to demonstrate the phenomenon, but it will still be just a work around.

- Grady
Mechanisms: 18 Mechanisms.
Thyme: Tutorial - Variables/Commands List.
Thymechanic
gradyfitz

Postby korry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Grady,
thanks a lot, but as you wrote, it isn't ideal solution. Also I think, tahat students aren't satisfied with the final "white" (as I know them, they would say "It isn't white, you are kidding" ;) ).
I have another idea - change colour of wheel with tyhme scripting - increasing speed will change color of coloured parts to white.
I want to solve this problem for show the colour mixing - if the wheel is red and green, final colour will be yellow ...
So I will get understandig thyme scripting and maybe I will solve this.
Thanks to all.
Korry
korry

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 am

I think the closest you will be able to easily get will be to slide the opacity slider for the sections all the way to the right and make the speed of the motor exactly 1000. You will need to type the 1000 in in place of the 60 or 600 or whatever you set it to.
1000 RPM will cause the wheel to make one revolution exactly every six frames. The sim runs at 100 Hz, you do the math. Anyway, the wheel will rotate exactly one sixth of a revolution every frame, so the result is... well... I will let you figure that out yourself.
I think this is the best you will be able to get without doing some very strange things to Algodoo/Phun or your graphics card.
Also, make sure the motor's torque is high enough.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby TC42 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:38 am

I think the closest you can get to this affect is to use overlapping lasers of the colors of the spectrum to get 'white light'.
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby Someone Else » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 am

Good point. But, I don't think that is exactly what korry is after.
I forgot to mention that you should use Grady's wheel in that explanation of mine.
How in the world could I have forgotten that?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Return to Algodoo for educators