Need help with Hinges (a.k.a., Axles)

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Need help with Hinges (a.k.a., Axles)

Postby Xray » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 pm

In some situations, a hinge gets pulled apart like a spring (see my sample scene). Is there any way to make or configure hinges so that they are much stronger, or even make them so strong that they can not be stretched or pulled apart under any circumstances? I tried adjusting every user-configurable paramter but without success. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hinge Issue.phz
(862.74 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Xray

Re: Need help with Hinges (a.k.a., Axles)

Postby RpT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Try to modify the hingeConstant to something big as 1000000000. It does work for me :D
Țăranul se uită la pământ și pământul la țăran..dacă are pământ, dacă nu, atunci nu!

:lol:
RpT

Postby Xray » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:43 pm

RpT wrote:Try to modify the hingeConstant to something big as 1000000000. It does work for me :D

Hmmmm.... Doesn't seem to do much for me. I used values between 1 and infinity, with little or no effect on how strongly the hinge holds together. :(

I'm beginning to think that there's nothing that can be done to prevent a hinge from stretching apart. It just may be that it works the way it was designed to work.
Xray

Postby electronicboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 pm

You can greatly improve this with the following, hinge properties:

AllowDirectSolve; false
AutoBrake; true
LeagacyMode; 0
motorTorque; +inf
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Xray » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 pm

I tried everything that electronicboy and RpT had suggested, but I was still having a problem with the hinge being stretched apart and staying like that until the geometry gets bumped or until I click on it and select it with my grab tool. Well, rather than to focus on the hinge settings (because nothing seemed to help it!) I started looking at other things that may be contributing to this problem, and I had discovered that the parameter called angvel in the main body of the fish had a huge influence on how well the hinge stayed together. By setting angvel to zero, and also by putting curly brackets around the value, the hinge now stays tightly held together and doesn't stretch like it did before! The actual parameter and value are: angvel:= {0} The curley brackets force the value to stay at zero. Ever since I made this change, the tail of the fish in my scene stays in place, because the hinge no longer stretches!

I don't understand how the geometry "angvel" affects whether or not the hinge will stretch or stay put, but that's what worked!
Xray

Return to Help / Bug reports