Phun in Second Life

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Phun in Second Life

Postby Arachia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:53 am

you have a book for phun phisics inside second life on top of the College of Scripting, Music, and Science.
here is the SLurl: secondlife:///app/teleport/Horsa/45/243/84/

Given it's location I was under the impression that this was a in world adaption to allow concepts from your program to operate in the second life enviroment. I spent several months saving up every free and earned Linden Dollar I could given that for some reason my credit card does not function for the purchase of linden currancy. I then purchased your manual in world with all my hard earned money under the impression that it would allow me to use your methods. unfortunatly I am either missing something or phun physics and algodoo can't and does not operate in second life.

If I am badly mistaken then please correct me. If I am correct then you must CLEARLY state what you are selling or remove it as failure to do so is illegal. If someone not connected to you is doing this I would suggest legal action for you if they have not the purmission or right to be selling what they are. If it does not work the way that I understood I would like my second life currancy returned to me to accompany my agreed deletion of the noncopyable item I purchased.

Please understand that I am a intermediate lvl programer and an educator and was planning to incorperate this program in educational material if it worked in second life as phun physics has been very useful to me in other terms.
Arachia

Re: Phun in Second Life

Postby gradyfitz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 am

Arachia wrote:you have a book for phun phisics inside second life on top of the College of Scripting, Music, and Science.
here is the SLurl: secondlife:///app/teleport/Horsa/45/243/84/

Given it's location I was under the impression that this was a in world adaption to allow concepts from your program to operate in the second life enviroment. I spent several months saving up every free and earned Linden Dollar I could given that for some reason my credit card does not function for the purchase of linden currancy. I then purchased your manual in world with all my hard earned money under the impression that it would allow me to use your methods. unfortunatly I am either missing something or phun physics and algodoo can't and does not operate in second life.

If I am badly mistaken then please correct me. If I am correct then you must CLEARLY state what you are selling or remove it as failure to do so is illegal. If someone not connected to you is doing this I would suggest legal action for you if they have not the purmission or right to be selling what they are. If it does not work the way that I understood I would like my second life currancy returned to me to accompany my agreed deletion of the noncopyable item I purchased.

Please understand that I am a intermediate lvl programer and an educator and was planning to incorperate this program in educational material if it worked in second life as phun physics has been very useful to me in other terms.

I don't actually know what Second Life is, but I've heard about it every now and again, but I'm pretty sure that this book is not authored by Algoryx (lessons are included with the installation of the program for free), I think that perhaps you should contact the author of Second Life, or a representative and negotiate this with them, if I understand correctly, (I've never used Second Life, so I'm assuming this), anyone would be able to author a book, perhaps you should just use Algodoo/Phun for the physics you are looking for and use Second Life for whatever you use it for normally.

I think perhaps you should probably contact the developer and settle it by talking to someone with a connection to Second Life, that will be able to fix your problem. I think perhaps you should be much more careful when buying things online, as far as I know, Second Life does not have validation checks to prove that material is from the company the author claims to be.
/Grady
Mechanisms: 18 Mechanisms.
Thyme: Tutorial - Variables/Commands List.
Thymechanic
gradyfitz

Postby admin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:29 am

We know absolutely nothing about this, so obviously someone not connected to Algoryx is running this. We will look into it and take appropriate action.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chronos » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:57 pm

you guys should try to keep the book it there by working out some sort of agreement. because, hey, free advertising :thumbup:
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Arachia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Second Life is a free virtual enviroment program not that much unlike a MMO except that it is designed for 3d graphic design and virtual meetings. It and a few other programs liek it are an attempt to replace old 2d web browsers with a 3d alternative.

As with the item itself, like the web, second life allows ppl to create and own land the way you might create and own a web page. each individual retians ownership and responibilities for content they create and own.

So to locate the article first download the free client and get it working with an account. Then use this link in your regular web browser:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Horsa/46/243/84
that will open a map of second life (it is a Really Big place) centered on the College of Scripting, Music, and Science. Clicking on the orange "Teleport now" will open Second Life and take you straight to the location of the College of Scripting, Music, and Science. The said Item can be found on the roof of the building with you can get to by using a short range teleport which acts like a elevator.

Also the item can be found at the second life browser based site Xstreet at this link: https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?n ... ID=1559857

I am truely sorry that you did not know about this and hope that purhaps you might try to make a version of your program that would operate inside second life since the basic physics is all ready there, but to have something in second life that could create the gears, chains, and motors like your program does would be something that just about every second life designer would convet.

I will be available to go on second life sometime tuesday through thursday to help you with uncovering what is going on and to lend my aid in helping you create a true phun physics or algodoo program for the second life enviroment.
Arachia

Postby Arachia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 pm

Chronos wrote:you guys should try to keep the book it there by working out some sort of agreement. because, hey, free advertising :thumbup:

Yes I agree that it might end up that the book might be good to stay there except that it currently is FALSE advertisement in that it makes it look like the program works in second life which it does not. It would have to be changed to state clearly what it was. It currently as it stands is considered ILLEGAL and an article of FRAUD. (I have talked to a lawyer in the hypothetical senario of this)
Arachia

Postby Rhett97 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Im pretty sure it was just a scam... pretty damn sure
Chronos wrote:There's nothing wrong with swearing. They're just words. People just think they have a bad meaning. What's the difference between shit and poo? Nothing. They're the same.
Rhett97

Postby Arachia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Rhett97 wrote:Im pretty sure it was just a scam... pretty damn sure

the college of scripting is a group of ppl that help each other with scripting projects through out second life. the location a multistory building that shows you how to script harder and harder stuff inside second life as you move up the building.

the phun physics is on the roof of this building. so it most likely is more of an oversight on the part of the person that put it there. yet 25% of fraud is human error and stupidity (unless yu count all intentional fraud as stupidity) so I am sure this will be cleared up in the end with either removal of the item or a editing of the display.

I am just pissed that I spent all 1225 L$ (4 us dollars) on something that was not what I believed it was. yet given that algoryx offers the tutorial for free it should have rights over this content therefore what the person is doing is unfortunatly illegal and they have to do about an 15 minutes of editing max to fix it along with returning the money to anyone that bought it think that it worked in second life and they were buying the rights to use it.
Arachia

Postby Arachia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:12 pm

Here is a image of the item they are selling. As you can see it seems to say that it is a program they are selling that creates physics and given that it is in second life a location that teachs how to script in second life it would seem to mean that it creates the advertisted items in second life. It does not give any credit to Algoryx, but it did have a link to the download page for phun physics inside the book.

http://artikia.deviantart.com/art/Fake-Phun-Physics-Book-140144128
Arachia

Postby Sonic » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:15 pm

This may actually be grounds for lawsuit, since they are
1. Using the Phun/Algodoo name without permision, and
2. Scamming you using the Phun/Algodoo name.
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Postby Rhett97 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Wow algdoo shutting down SL.. that wuld be cool
Chronos wrote:There's nothing wrong with swearing. They're just words. People just think they have a bad meaning. What's the difference between shit and poo? Nothing. They're the same.
Rhett97

Postby Conundrumer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Rhett97 wrote:Wow algdoo shutting down SL.. that wuld be cool

That would be stupid and absurd. All Algoryx would probably do is contact the SL staff about fraudulant advertising and scamming. Actually, the most sensible thing to do is to simply report the person directly.
Conundrumer

Postby Sonic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Or...they could sue them and get money for it!
Sonic

Postby admin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:39 pm

We tried to visit the second life website twice (just now and a few days ago), but all we get is "500 Internal server error". Either we are just very unlucky, or something is seriously broken with that site.
If someone can come up with a contact email address to Second Life management/support, we will indeed take action.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sonic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Will we get a cut of any profits for pointing it out? Just a bit? Please?
Sonic

Return to Help / Bug reports