How do I ACCURATELY select spring endpoints...

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

How do I ACCURATELY select spring endpoints...

Postby kaosguy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Just starting with Algodoo. Finding certain information is frustrating. For example...

I put two identical blocks on a horizontal plane.
I connected them with a spring at their facing ends. I tried to connect the ends of the spring at the same height, so the spring forces would be exactly horizontal.
Not clear how/if I can do this.
Adjusting height by eye wasn't good enough.
Tried holding keys down (Alt, Ctrl, Shift) as I dragged the 2nd end of the spring. That didn't work.
Help!

Thanks.
kaosguy

Re: How do I ACCURATELY select spring endpoints...

Postby The Linkage » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Sorry that no one answered before, but the answer to that is extremely simple
THE GRID!
The grid is right beside the air friction icon. Always keep it open. And a piece of advice: always, after playing the scene, press the button facing up that is just beside the Undo button and press Undo sim start INSTEAD OF PAUSING AND DOIG WHATEVER ELSE. This keeps everything aligned to the grid perfectly. Boxes and circles have better collisions than polygons, so if a box is rotated 0.001º and you scale it, it will become a polygon.
Also very high density improves collisions a lot, and simulation frequency is best at 120 Hz (options-simulation)
The Linkage

Re: How do I ACCURATELY select spring endpoints...

Postby The Linkage » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Also, SHIFT+mouse wheel moves thing to front or to back (took a horrible amount of time for me to figure that out), CTRL to multi-select and clone too, and when on scale mode, SHIFT keeps things undeformed, and CTRL+ALT+SHIFT keeps them in shape and gives increments (0.125,0.25,0.33,0.5,1,2,3)
The Linkage

Return to Help / Bug reports