Very odd file accessing issue

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Very odd file accessing issue

Postby MarbleLeague » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:31 am

Algodoo version: 2.1.0

I've noticed a couple of strange problems regarding files saved in the ../My Documents/Algodoo/textures folder.

I use Algodoo to create marble run courses, and I use Photoshop to create the marble textures, which I apply to circles in Algodoo. I save these files into subfolders in the default textures folder, so I can quickly access them in Algodoo. Here's my issue(s):

1. I can access these files in Algodoo, however, they do not show up in Windows Explorer. What I mean is, from Photoshop, I will save .jpg files into ../My Documents/Algodoo/textures/mySubfolder, but then when I go to browse for them in Explorer, there is nothing there. Even after confirming that the folder is not hidden, it is simply empty (I cannot reload the files in photoshop, even by typing out the specified path; it's like they are simply gone). But the strangest part is, I can access the saved .jpgs when browsing to that folder in Algodoo. So Algodoo recognizes the existence of files that Windows Explorer does not.

2. Because of this issue, I started saving my files in a different folder, and just taking the extra step to browse to them when I want to open them in Algodoo. But when I do this, if those files share the same file name as previous files loaded in Algodoo (even if they aren't currently applied as a texture to anything in my current scene), Algodoo insists on loading the original (the file I can't see), and not the one I specify.

Here's what I'm doing. I have a texture file, call it Name_B.jpg. I load this file into a scene in Algodoo. Later, when playing with a different scene, I want to load an updated version of Name_B.jpg. This is the same texture with a slight modification (hence the file name is important for organizational purposes). However, when I browse to the updated file in Algodoo, even though I can see in the preview that I am selecting the updated file, not the original, Algodoo loads the original, not the modified version.

For example, if I have a Name_B.jpg in "../My Documents/Algodoo/textures/mySubfolder" and another Name_B.jpg (same name, different texture) in "../My Pictures/mySubfolder" and I try to load the latter file, Algodoo insists on loading the former (if I've loaded it previously).

I don't know if this is a computer issue or a program issue, but I'm dumbfounded. Number one, Algodoo is acting like its textures folder is uniquely its own. The files in it cannot be accessed, or even seen from any file viewer in any other software. Number two, it's almost like the program is storing past loaded files in memory and never allowing them to be overwritten, so that any files I load in the future with the same filename will simply reload the original.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening, and what I can do about it? Seriously, demon possession is my leading theory at the moment. :twisted:
Attachments
Logfile.txt
(45.17 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
MarbleLeague

Re: Very odd file accessing issue

Postby MarbleLeague » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:40 am

Does Algodoo not have a support team?
MarbleLeague

Return to Help / Bug reports