Framerate locking

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Framerate locking

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:47 am

Hello. I've got a new-er computer and I've recently installed Algodoo on it, The first thing I noticed was that it ran really, really fast, it was a little odd, but I got used to it, then I setup some video capture software, and it's saying that Algodoo is running at 284-400 FPS. How can I cap this frame rate so A: I can get a consistent experience in Algodoo, and B: I can slow stuff down so it behaves naturally?
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Re: Framerate locking

Postby grantypoo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Framerate really doesnt have anything to do with it. You want to adjust your simulation frequency. Do that by going into the "gear" up by File, then the Simulation tab, and you can pick the frequency you want. Default is 60hz.

Adjusting that value WILL make things behave differently. Make a container full of water, then change the simulation frequency up and down and you'll see what I mean. I'm not sure why, but a lot of people set their scenes at 100 Hz, so when you download them you'll be at that rate too.
grantypoo

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:09 am

:problem: My simulation frequency is at 60hz, and everything is moving faster than expected,

for example:
make a rectangle,
put a hinge on it's center,
turn the hinge into a motor,
set the motor speed to 1 RPM,
play the scene

Result: Rectangle rotates at about 10 RPM on my screen

Adjusting the simulation frequency as you suggested has no apparent effect on this simple scene for frequencies greater than about 30 Hz, below 30 Hz and the box rotation becomes more jerky, but the rotation does not slow down.
jon_joy_1999

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am

Does anyone have any information on how to keep Algodoo running at normal speed?
Playing around with non-console settings, if I reduce play speed to 0.1% it seems to play normally. does anyone have any information on why this is happening to me? maybe like a dodgy multiplier, or I don't know what kinds of settings there are to affect this.
jon_joy_1999

Postby electronicboy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 am

Code: Select all
System.max

open the console, F10 or the tidle key (~) should open it, Type that in and hit tab, there should be 2 variables
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:32 am

Alright, I've opened the console and put that in, and got back
maxFPSPaused = 60, default = 60
maxFPSPlaying = 60, default = 60
jon_joy_1999

Postby electronicboy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:16 pm

That means that the FPS limit is set to 60, apparently. You can set them by placing an = after the variable and specifying the number, all I can say is; Good luck.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby The Linkage » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Hope you've been able to fix that, if you couldn't you might be able to fix it with your GPU program. just locate the algodoo.exe with it and add VSync and a 60fps cap
The Linkage

Postby faytree » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:16 pm

That's strange, my Algodoo is currently running at about ~200-270fps(which I obviously unlocked it xP) and it runs perfectly fine for me :eh:
waiting for semester break to come...
faytree

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the support, it's still an issue for me, I'm not sure how to fix it. I've been able to make a video on what's going on, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4MO2B0xPVI
near the end you can also see another issue I have where I'm unable to turn the grid off by clicking the button. (the button behaves like I'm double-clicking it). I think the issues are related, a strange interaction with higher than expected frame-rate causing multiple inputs to be triggered, but I'm not sure.
jon_joy_1999

Return to Help / Bug reports