Gearbox Ratios

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Gearbox Ratios

Postby faytree » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey,
can someone help me with the gear ratios? I'm planning to make a speed 6 manual RWD car. But I'm very bad at making gearboxes, I tried once but the acceleration was so bad that It failed to move the car :thumbdown:

It'll be nice if your guys could help me to build the gearbox for my upcoming car :)

Spoiler: show
The car in the scene below is a test mule. Which is an indev bodywork which I don't want to show it yet.
Here's an example of it:
Attachments
Halp.phz
I - Ignition; S- Starter; Up - Throttle
(86.56 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
waiting for semester break to come...
faytree

Re: Gearbox Ratios

Postby pnvv » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:35 pm

I think the reason it doesn't move isn't because of the gearbox, it's because the engine has very little power. It's a 91 KG engine, so 90 hp whereabouts should be your target - it gave 5.6 on my PC. It also has next to no inertia, so it dies very easily.

My general engine weight limit for these types of light cars is around 200 kg. Like the bimmer had an i4 that was about 190 kg and 150 hp and I once built a wankel that was 190 kg and had over 400 hp :shock:

About gearboxes. Make first gear very low. Then make a big jump to 2nd, then a smaller jump to 3rd, then make the jump from 3rd to 4th smaller than the 2-3 jump, and keep making the jumps smaller until you have the amount of gears you wanted :thumbup: Give gears +inf friction and 0 restitution, and 100 density at least. Also give the axles legacymode = 0. This may sound stupid but it actually gets rid of most slipping and also the gears won't do all kinds of legacymode = 1 stupid shit at high speed :lol:

But this really desperately needs a new engine. Mind if I build one? :)

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby faytree » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:20 pm

pnvv wrote:I think the reason it doesn't move isn't because of the gearbox, it's because the engine has very little power. It's a 91 KG engine, so 90 hp whereabouts should be your target - it gave 5.6 on my PC. It also has next to no inertia, so it dies very easily.

My general engine weight limit for these types of light cars is around 200 kg. Like the bimmer had an i4 that was about 190 kg and 150 hp and I once built a wankel that was 190 kg and had over 400 hp :shock:

About gearboxes. Make first gear very low. Then make a big jump to 2nd, then a smaller jump to 3rd, then make the jump from 3rd to 4th smaller than the 2-3 jump, and keep making the jumps smaller until you have the amount of gears you wanted :thumbup: Give gears +inf friction and 0 restitution, and 100 density at least. Also give the axles legacymode = 0. This may sound stupid but it actually gets rid of most slipping and also the gears won't do all kinds of legacymode = 1 stupid shit at high speed :lol:

But this really desperately needs a new engine. Mind if I build one? :)

Making it heavier,huh? *recalculating mass and then adding half slice of the universe inside it*

*30 minutes later...*
It's done! now the total weight is approximately six times heavier than myself! ( engine weight: approx. 347 kg ) :thumbup:

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 50.92 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download
faytree

Postby pnvv » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:56 am

faytree wrote:*30 minutes later...*
It's done! now the total weight is approximately six times heavier than myself! ( engine weight: approx. 347 kg ) :thumbup:

download

Sorry for late reply, I was out partying with my friends that I don't have :lol:

Tested, gave 1000 torque. A lot better than the first one, but still a bit short. The Bimmer had like 4000 torque but at low speed, so it was only like ~170 hp.

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby faytree » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:10 am

pnvv wrote:
faytree wrote:*30 minutes later...*

download

Sorry for late reply, I was out partying with my friends that I don't have :lol:

Tested, gave 1000 torque. A lot better than the first one, but still a bit short. The Bimmer had like 4000 torque but at low speed, so it was only like ~170 hp.

170 horsepower...
Maybe my turbocharger can cover it up so it'll have a total of 200hp,hope so :P

By the way, thanks for power testing it :thumbup:
faytree

Postby pnvv » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:26 pm

faytree wrote:170 horsepower...
Maybe my turbocharger can cover it up so it'll have a total of 200hp,hope so :P

By the way, thanks for power testing it :thumbup:

I actually looked at your air friction turbo. It's a very ingenious piece of tech but it doesn't increase engine power at all, just pushes the car forward. Airfrictionmult, when positive, normally increases the force that air friction applies on the car so it slows down quicker, but because it is negative, the air friction actually pulls the car forward.

Oh, Algodoo. What weird, exploitable physics you have... :lol:

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby faytree » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:09 am

Welp,I'll try to make another version of it which can give more power to the engine and make the car go faster at the same time! ;)

Like Jeremy sez:
faytree

Postby eanayayo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:26 am

Hey, I'm registered here now :)

First: 3.3
Second: 2.2
Third 1.7
Fourth: 1.35
Fifth: 1.14
Sixth: 1

That's for sport car
eanayayo

Postby pnvv » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:11 am

eanayayo wrote:First: 3.3
Second: 2.2
Third 1.7
Fourth: 1.35
Fifth: 1.14
Sixth: 1

That's for sport car

Those are much too low! That's like a heavy truck gearbox. The gearbox ratios must increase much steeper as Algodoo spawn engines don't go thousands of rpm like real car engines. 1000 rpm is a good top speed but torque must be increased. So, if you put those gear ratios in a car, it wouldn't go very fast. First gear should be like you said but maximum gear should be like first gear backwards so the wheels spin much faster than the engine.

Ps your avatar is very amusing xD

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby eanayayo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:08 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-r ... ansmission
Max speed on gear:
1st - 70 km/h
6th - 240 km/h
Isn't it fast?

Gearbox for truck is:
1st - 6