VC++ Runtime Error

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

VC++ Runtime Error

Postby Ysopet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Good day to everyone !

I am currently trying to setup a computer with Windows 7 x64 using Algodoo 2.1.0. The computer has a "white list" of software that the user can execute, using Applocker. I added all C:\Program Files (x86)\Algodoo\* files to the whitelist.

In my "Admininstrator" account, everything works fine. Algodoo installs and run ok (for what I've seen).
However, in the "user" account, as soon as I try to run Algodoo, I receive "Runtime Error. This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way." Algodoo do not open at all.

I tried several solutions, such as verify the user access to the Algodoo files & folders, updating drivers, windows updates, removing & installing anew the VC++ Runtimes... I even tried to give the user account more permissions on the registry key concerning Algodoo...

Is there something else I can try ? Is it a common issue ?

Thanks for any suggestions !!! :crazy:
Ysopet

Re: VC++ Runtime Error

Postby electronicboy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 pm

This isn't something I've seen before, however this isn't really a common setup, most places use GPO's to setup this kind of stuff, however they working using the principal of users can't install software and the chances of them finding out they can run software from a flash drive is low, and if they do we can just block the .exe and pray they're not smart enough to know how that works :D

I'd probably suggest checking the crash message, chances are there may be a hint or two inside the more details section.

Also, Algodoo doesn't really use the registry anymore, it used to be used to store demo time and licence info, however now it only reads from those sections now.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Ysopet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Finally, I found the solution.
Algodoo will create, upon startup, an "Algodoo" folder in C:\Users\[User Account]\Documents.

Our configuration was denying write access to the user account, which was triggering the VC++ Runtime Error.

Is there any way to change the location of this folder ?

Thanks !!!
Ysopet

Postby electronicboy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Shamefully not that I know of, that path is hard-coded inside Algodoo, However I'd not a member of Algoryx so I can't really tell how the path is picked up.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Return to Help / Bug reports