Record and Control Userinputs?

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Record and Control Userinputs?

Postby dobili » Tue May 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi,

I want to use Algodoo for teaching purposes. For this it would be necessary to control which tools the users of the simulation can use in 'play mode'. Is it possible to block the 'admin mode' or/ and one of the tools you normally can use in 'play mode'? Furthermore is it possible to record what the user is doing and save it as a logfile or even in a video format?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
dobili

Re: Record and Control Userinputs?

Postby electronicboy » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Hello,

Shamefully its not possible to do what you've asked for, however with Algodoo its fairly hard to cause too much chaos.

What you can do is place an object on the scene with the following update code;

(e)=>{
App.GUI.playMode = true
}

however, that will also restrict you from being able to edit the scene until you Ctrl-Z to undo, hence I suggest having a copy of the scenes and then uploading a 'protected' set to wherever your students will be viewing the files from.

Also, we do have a manner of recording by abusing a function inside algodoo, however it kills the performance of the machine as it generates a few hundred png files (one for each frame). There are a few dozen classroom tools which allow for monitoring students which would be more suited for this, after all if you can't trust your students on Algodoo which is fairly safe, you should be monitoring them a bit more properly
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby dobili » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. The solution with the object will do the job. Is it possible to do something similar with the available tools in play mode? For exampe: "if tool x is activated, deactivate it and activate tool y instead"
dobili

Postby electronicboy » Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello,

From what I can see there is no way to get the existing tool selection that I know of, you can use 'Tools.DragTool.SelectTool' to force selection of the drag tool, it appears that the following works fine

Code: Select all
(e)=>{
App.GUI.playMode = true;
Tools.DragTool.SelectTool
}
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby DrAgon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Hello dobili,

nice that you work on paedagogical issues! :thumbup: :thumbup:

indeed for me as teacher :geek: it is important too to use scenes, which pupil really have
to think about in order to solve problems. No cheating-way should be possible
and this makes it necessary to use some Thyme-script. :!:

To come to your help, i would like to know which kind of scene you need to prepare, to
follow or to protect.
To outline the way of solving your problem: I make a scene where you have your own icons to select tools,
and a click on the object which sets the tool will additionally add an entry to an array or textfile, which will
be saved as external file when you leave the scene. :idea:

You will be able to find this scene by the tags "schule" and "logusedtools", or by its scene-number,
which i ll post here as soon as its ready.
DrAgon

Postby FRA32 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 pm

I have taken a look into the integrated coding framework of the software("Thyme"), but was unable to find any tools to manipulate the avaiability of the toolbar besides removing it entirely and disabling all hotkeys. These changes also persist between scenes and can only be undone by the same way they have been done, or via software restoration, so I doubt they would benefit much when used with students.

Depending on what exactly you plan to do with your students, certain other "tools" and tricks might be able to circumvent this issue, it would only require some elaboration.
FRA32

Postby DrAgon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:25 am

s_noonan made
Rating: rated 6.1
Filesize: 165.61 kB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 3
download

(look there!)

and FRA32 and i did removals of original tools, resulting in
Rating: rated 5.6