Momentum is NOT conserved..

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Momentum is NOT conserved..

Postby arundel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm really doing a simple experiment in a gravity free environment: There's a box containing a free moving box inside. The small box moves from left to right and back. After it does that (you might want to set the simulation speed to x10), the net displacement is not zero. It has moved to the right only by use of internal forces. It's a closed system, it's not supposed to do that! That allows for reactionless drives and such to work. So please can anyone tell me a way to fix this? Or is this a known issue? It is supposed to return to it's equilibrium. Not way off it's equilibrium.
Attachments
box in a box.phz
Momentum inaccuracy
(177.53 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
arundel

Re: Momentum IS conserved.. my bad.

Postby arundel » Thu May 14, 2015 10:38 pm

Ok so I figured out that the Air Resistance was turned on which onfluenced the net displacement. Whoops. :oops: And a reminder to restract the springs that pushed the box to their original length. Now the whole thing behaves accurately as I expect it to be.

Lesson learned: turn off air resistance when doing precise "vacuum"-ish experiments. :)
arundel

Return to Help / Bug reports