Bending light

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Bending light

Postby docg » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:35 am

Can anyone Bend light without changing the light speed?
The light should re appear at the other side and would look like as if nothing happened
No mirrors
Ending:Date 20 Nov 2009 GMT +08:00
docg

Re: Bending light

Postby KarateBrot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:15 am

That's no contest. and by the way as a hobby physicist i can say it's not possible
KarateBrot

Postby RaRaMalum » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:20 am

algodoo:
infinite speed means its just there, which in turn means nothing can change it(maybe infinite atraction can, haven't tried it).

Realworld:
infinite is one of those terms mathematicians doesn't like as it usually fucks up their formula(read up on blackholes). But as in algodoo infinite isn't changable(infinite / 2 = infinite)
Phundamentalists, come to the dark side.
We have much cooler toys.
RaRaMalum
[Best newcomer 2010]

Postby docg » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:14 am

Bending light is possible in the real world the gov made one but its SO small
docg

Postby KarateBrot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 am

docg wrote:Bending light is possible in the real world the gov made one but its SO small

of course. but only because even in real life light does not travel with infinite speed.
KarateBrot

Postby Conundrumer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:05 am

You can bend light in your kitchen. Just turn on the stove and look at the blurry background. But that's due to refraction.
The speed of light in a vacuum in real life is around 3*10^8 meters per second, which is not anywhere near infinite (nothing is, really).
Also, it's plain impossible, since you're trying to get Algodoo to do something it "physically" can't do, like making the text in a box physical without drawing additional polygons.
Conundrumer

Postby davidz40 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:42 pm

KarateBrot wrote:That's no contest. and by the way as a hobby physicist i can say it's not possible

Gravity bends light.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby KarateBrot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:59 pm

davidz40 wrote:
KarateBrot wrote:That's no contest. and by the way as a hobby physicist i can say it's not possible

Gravity bends light.

i know. when i said it's not possible it was referred on the fact that light wouldn't bend with +inf light speed.
KarateBrot

Postby davidz40 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm

It''s not so obvious that it wouldn't bend at inf speed. I think that it would bend near black hole anyway, but i'm not sure :crazy:
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby KarateBrot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:54 pm

with infinite speed - not possible. even when it's passing through a black hole it wouldn't be bended :D. and it's questionable if you can still call infinite speed "speed". but you know, it's not possible because light has a limited speed and noone has to worry about unbendable light.
KarateBrot

Postby Sonic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:01 pm

If light had infinite speed, it would be able to be seen in every part of the universe.
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Postby KarateBrot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Sonic wrote:If light had infinite speed, it would be able to be seen in every part of the universe.

yeah it would be everywhere at any time. crazy :crazy: that's why i wonder if you can say "speed" or "velocity" anymore.
KarateBrot

Postby Conundrumer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 am

Infinity does not exist in the first place. It's a concept mathematicians and physicists throw around to make their jobs a bit easier.
Conundrumer

Postby izacque » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:29 am

Conundrumer wrote:Infinity does not exist in the first place. It's a concept mathematicians and physicists throw around to make their jobs a bit easier.

QFT
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby PlanckBanck » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:59 pm

It`s just like you all said. I just wanted to add another (probably imaginary) paricle to your discuccion. Anyone ever heard of tachyons? They used them in Star Trek I think (lol). As you probably know, any particle with mass requires exponentially growing amounts of energy for accellerating towards the speed of light. The faster it is, the more energy is rewuired to get the same accelleration, thus it is not able to get to speed of light at all, needing virtually infinite energy. Now, Tachyons also need infinite energy for achieving speed of light, however they get even faster when having less energy, causing it to have infinite speed when having no energy at all.

A tachyon is not a particle specifically, tachyons are a group of particles. The tardyons are the normal massy particles like protons and so on, acellerating with more energy and luxons are paticles that alawys have speed of light, like... light. Those are the three.

The existance of tachyons could not be proved yet. They are necessary for some stringtheories to work so... but they need 128th dimensions and stuff, so...

Not really ontopic but I thought this would fit because it`s kinda relevant with speed of light and infinite speed and stuff, have fu.... phun!

PlanckBanck
PlanckBanck

Postby StephenAlverez » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:11 am

We are all physicists here, or all of us thinkers are. So lets all agree to agree that everyone here has said whats basicly the same thing, light is not going infinitly fast, and that if it was, it would be going on and on, and the beam would be see-able from everywhere. We all also agree that there can't be infinity, and it does make formulas easier.

So

What if we put the speed of light in one of our lasers, put the laser one 9.8 meters up (so it will hit at one second), and saw how far it took to hit the ground which would be [answer]1736894890337.5872 kilometers[/answer] (the speed of light in K/H).
my formula was:

C=1736894890337.5872
or
C*9.8/s/s=1736894890337.5872

now we all know that it would take one second, for i said its 9.8 meter up. Why is this at all important, well, knowing that this is all true, we can set our lasers to 1736894890337.5872 K/P and have a realistic light, and who doesn't want a realistic light. We can also realisticly and finally do this godamn contest. And i beleive that at one meter up it will fall at 177234172483.42726530612244897959 Km

But why did i go through all this work, well beacuse i like physics and don't need a reason to do a simple logic problem
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby davidz40 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Relistic light doesn't fall like normal body
Instead, it's slightly bended by gravity field. (to be exact, gravity bends the space itself, including light in it).
Btw i know that inf speed light is nonsense, but i still think that it would bend near black hole, especially when going through infinitely bent space. :crazy:
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Joel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:28 am

Playing infinities against each other is never a good idea. Infinite light speed is not real, but it allows for optimizations using lasers in a physics engine. I would guess that if you tried checking a lot of lasers with infinite speed and with 299 792 458 m / s in speed in Algodoo, you would see a drop in frame rate, but very slight differences in actual results.
Algodoo Developer
Joel

Postby RA2lover » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:00 pm

depends on maxrays variable number
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby izacque » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 am

davidz40 wrote:Relistic light doesn't fall like normal body
Instead, it's slightly bended by gravity field. (to be exact, gravity bends the space itself, including light in it).
Btw i know that inf speed light is nonsense, but i still think that it would bend near black hole, especially when going through infinitely bent space. :crazy:

Black holes can't have infinate gravity. that would require infinite mass, which would have infinite inertia. That would mean that a black hole will never and has never moved in a varying velocity. also infinite gravity. think about our invers square law. what's the inverse of the square of infinity, hmm? well, what's the inverse of the square of that? therefore, all matter in the universe would feel an infinite pull towards an infinitely massive object.
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby davidz40 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:47 am

izacque wrote:Black holes can't have infinate gravity. that would require infinite mass, which would have infinite inertia. That would mean that a black hole will never and has never moved in a varying velocity. also infinite gravity. think about our invers square law. what's the inverse of the square of infinity, hmm? well, what's the inverse of the square of that? therefore, all matter in the universe would feel an infinite pull towards an infinitely massive object.

It all matters what you mean by infine gravity.
Yes, it's not infinitely strong and black holes have finite mass.

But any finite mass can produce infinite gravity force when distance approaches to 0, and that's possibe with black hole (because singularity is one point - it has no volume at all).

And I agree that throwing infinities against each other is bad. (but there are methods to solve such equations)
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby StephenAlverez » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Your right davidz40, it doesn't fall, but this program makes the light like an object, and not really lights. Its more like a ball going infinite speed or going the speed of light, so its sort of scetch. and as i said, no one is really saying anything new here, its all us just agreeing or correcting
Last edited by StephenAlverez on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby MEn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:00 pm

docg wrote:Bending light is possible in the real world the gov made one but its SO small

Optical fiber bends light.
MEn

Postby Chronos » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:06 pm

MEn wrote:

Optical fiber bends light.

It doesn't bend it, it directs it through a tube. It's like taking a flashlight and shining it through a bent tube coated with mirrors in every direction. It'll eventually come out the other end. You can even make fiber-optics in Algodoo and they don't bend the light. They reflect it to the end.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby HaakonXCI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/profile.php?id=176

I made a few scenes based on the theory of a black hole and came up with an interesting product of how light is bent.

I don't know if my post here concludes this thread but after playing around with things here I have to say it is possible to bend light to your satisfaction in many ways. Algodoo cannot handle what happens to light after it has passed throgh the event horizon as it lags the hell out of your cpu but instead it just passes through it and reverses and reverses, and reverses, and reverses etc...

But... as I said this post will probably end this discussion or further it into new ideas and new scenes, have some phun with it anyways.
I am the cat's pajamas.
HaakonXCI's Algodoo Scenes!
Former Phun user :)
HaakonXCI

Next

Return to Help / Bug reports