SPRING CONSTANT missing at times.

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

SPRING CONSTANT missing at times.

Postby Xray » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:11 pm

In some of my scenes that use springs, when I click on a spring, it will show three parameters, "Spring Constant", "Damping", and "Target Length". But some springs only show Damping and Target Length (Spring Constant is missing!). What causes Spring Constant to be missing in some springs, in some scenes?

MORE INFO - I recently discovered that if the Spring Constant value happens to be infinite, then the Spring Constant slider does not show when Springs is selected. If the value happens to be less than infinity, the slider will show, but if I then enter +inf as the Spring Constant value, it will show with the slider only until I close that menu and then open it again! When I open the Springs menu with infinity in the Springs Constant value, then the slider does not show. This may very well be a software bug because other geometries with sliders do not behave in that manner.

I also discovered another strange behavior: If I enter a Spring Constant of say 100, then close the menu, the next time I open the menu, the slider is at roughly 75% of full-scale, and when I drag the slider to full-scale, it goes up another order of magnitude! If I close the menu again, and reopen it, the slider will give me another order of magnitude of the maximum value. This keep repeating until some very large number is reached, which then become infinity. At that point, the original issue shows up again where the slider does not show when the menu is opened again!
Xray

Re: SPRING CONSTANT missing at times.

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:50 am

the slider scaling is intentional. it allows you to create very high numbers if needed, but also allowing the slider size be reasonable. it will scale the opposite direction if you move it all the way to minimum and then close and reopen the menu
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Postby Xray » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:43 am

Hi jon_joy! That makes sense, but do you happen to know why the slider disappears as mentioned in my OP?
Xray

Postby electronicboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:46 pm

The system probably can't read the value when it's set to infinity, so it doesn't register the variable as actually existing!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:13 pm

this makes sense, because infinity - any arbitrary number = infinity
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Postby Xray » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:26 pm

electronicboy wrote:The system probably can't read the value when it's set to infinity, so it doesn't register the variable as actually existing!

In that case, it must be a software bug because other parameters that have sliders do not act that way. You can enter +inf and the slider continues to display.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I just won't worry about it any longer. :)
Xray

Return to Help / Bug reports