CPU use and render on memory

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

CPU use and render on memory

Postby atmospheric » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I like to create some scenes with several thousand objects or particles... when I click play it doesn't run at 100% real time... but only using 5% of my CPU ! So why it doesn't use more ? how to change this ? and why you can't render a few seconds, then go back and play it in real time? it was possible with the soft "interactive physics" and it was nice...

edit: algodoo version 2.1.0, on windows 7 64bit
atmospheric

Re: CPU use and render on memory

Postby electronicboy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Hello,

Are you able to provide infomation about your PC and the situation?

What is the Graphics card installed in your PC?
CPU?

Are there any other processes on your PC using a lot of memory/CPU?

It could be that the GPU is too slow, and algodoo is waiting for the render to complete before processing the next render?

However, you have to remember, that Algodoo uses a realtime phyics engine, and pre-rending is not supported due to the fact that it is unneeded in most common scenarios. This is also why scenes with "several thousand objects or particles" runs slow. if you need a form of pre-rendering in the event that algodoo is used for lesson tutorials, and you need uninteractive video's, there are methods of making algodoo dump an image file on every frame, which can then be compiled into a video using free software.

Record movies with phun - WITHOUT external tool!!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby atmospheric » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for your quick response

CPU: i7-3770K overclocked
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 overclocked
16Gb RAM

It's not a problem about hardware, it's about the number of cores and memory allocated. The program is running only on one core and the memory is very limited, there is probably a easy way to change this but I don't know it...
It can be a problem in the most common scenarios, for example with liquids. It would be nice to have advanced rendering settings
atmospheric

Postby electronicboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 am

See, As it is a 32bit program, algodoo is also limited to 2GB of ram. Also, algodoo doesn't have multi-threading implimented, I think this is due to earlier tests not always responding well, which is a general case in some physics applications.

Algodoo plans to stay as a 32 bit application due to the reasoning that some of the libraries are only available in a 32 bit format due to the way they function, and is too time consuming for the Algoryx team to maintain the code in a 32 and a 64 bit versions in a reliable way, however, there isn't too much performance to be gained from the conversion anyways.

There is the Threading.numThreads (accessible from the console), that does allow for a beta multi-threading, however, it was implimented a year ago and nothing more has ever been said about it, and as I run linux, I can't really test it reliably.

Algodoo renders using openGL, which doesn't always provide a easy way to allow the management of rendering settings. My suggestion would to open CCC, and to set any of the filtering systems to Manual, or to low, as openGL applications don't always respond well with with these settings. If you are still having issues, what FPS are you getting, this is in the Sim-Info menu found from the file menu, which I'm sure you've already found.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Return to Help / Bug reports