System Requirements; [Shaders Not Supported]

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

System Requirements; [Shaders Not Supported]

Postby electronicboy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:20 pm

I have been experimenting with Algodoo 2.1 for a while now, and have confirmed the following system requirements,
Although I have known these Requirements for a while, I have not had the moment to publish them, hopefully doing so will help a lot new users.

Minimum:
CPU: Single Core CPU @ 1GHz
RAM: 1GB (windows XP) + 2GB (Vista, 7, 8)
GPU: Any GPU with an openGL version of a minimum of 2.1 to support the openGL shaders.

Recommended:
CPU: Dual core @ 1.8GHz
RAM: 2.5GB (Windows XP) + 3GB (Vista, 7, 8)
GPU: Any GPU with an openGL version of a minimum of openGL 3.0

WARNING: Lots of babbling below this.
Spoiler: show
Please note the following information:
CPU: Algodoo runs using only one CPU core, multi-threading is possible using advanced options, however, is not supported due to the feature being in a beta state. Using a dual core CPU allows you to run programs on the second core, while Algodoo is using resources on the first.

RAM: This is based upon the fact that Algodoo is a 32 bit program, and can only take up to 2GB of ram, the stated values are based upon Algodoo being the only running program, other than OS resources.

GPU: Virtually all GPUs that meet the required openGL versions will run adequately, please note however, that there may be a small issue in openGL 2.1 that does affect the rendering of menus, but does not affect gameplay.

In some cases, the hardware GPU only supports an openGL level of 2.0, however, a driver update could be made available to include compatibility for 2.1, I would suggest to look for driver updates for your system.
In the event that your PC doesn't support the GPU requirements, in the event of a desktop PC, GPUs which will match the requirements of Algodoo can be bought cheaply from many PC retailers.

AMD: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx
NVIDEA: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Scan.aspx
INTEL: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Above is the links to the 3 major GPU manufacturers, most GPU cards of different brands usually use a chipset from one of the above.

To find out which you need, press the WIN+R combination on your keyboard to open the run windows, and enter
Code: Select all
mmc devmgmt.msc

This will open up the device manager, next, you need to look for the following:
In most cases, you will get something with poor name details, however, you just need to look for the manufacturer name.

If anyone needs some help with this, feel free to PM me.

The above document is of my own concoction, although some of the contents have been discussed over Skype with Emil, this document has NOT been approved by Algoryx, however, has been produced in the hopes that it serves to help members of the community.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Re: System Requirements; [Shaders Not Supported]

Postby jumpjack » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Can't the shaders be disabled in any way without running Algodoo? (registry, .ini, something?)
jumpjack

Postby electronicboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Nope, openGL shaders have been used by algodoo for many years, however there was originally some code to fallback to standard non-optimised rendering, which was useful as openGL shaders where very uncommon, however in the past few years, this has completely changed.
Algoryx decided to take advantage of this to remove the slowdowns of using such code, at the cost of making openGL shaders a requirement, which is delivered by practically every machine from the past five years. So, if you're laptop doesn't run Algodoo 2.1.0, you will have to look into Algodoo 1.8.5 which is the latest version without these requirements.

I'm currently waiting for reply from the project leader about making Algodoo 1.8.5 available for free, however, it will probably be re-branded as Algodoo Classic, as to make it's purpose more clear.
electronicboy

Postby Benjamin123 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:24 pm

I have the same problem when I open Algodoo on Windows 8.1. How do you fix it?
Benjamin123

Postby electronicboy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:08 pm

If you've successfully ran algodoo in windows 7 or windows 8, you may need to re-install your graphics drivers, even if you used the upgrade method instead of the refresh method.

The basic instructions on updating your card are in the SPOILER on the first post, installing the GPU drivers should fix your issue, that is if your GPU is actually capable.
electronicboy

Postby francky380a380 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:51 pm

Same as benjamin123, but I'm French and not very very good in English so i don't understand every thing.
If i have understood, i have to update my driver, but i ever do this and it still doesn't work !!! The problem appeared when i switched to windows 8.1.

Please help me, thanks.
francky380a380

Postby vaidas369 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 pm

I will hope that in a nearest future Algodoo ask user ''Do you want run Algodoo with OpenGL shadows?'.
Because some users don't have such a device to run it with it. So please make something like options in ''.exe'' format.
So you can choose . Please, for all of us.
vaidas369

Postby TNSN » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:31 am

Does windows 10 work?
TNSN

Postby electronicboy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:18 pm

Yes, windows 10 works fine, the issue falls onto the GPU/Drivers.
electronicboy

Postby mateusdiasromano22 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:12 am

i can use on the FRICKING windows 10 -_-
mateusdiasromano22

Return to Help / Bug reports