Calculations bug?

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Calculations bug?

Postby Sonic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 am

I've noticed what seems to be a bug in how Algodoo handles exponential calculations. Basically what I did was I made two exactly identical objects with inverse positive and negative attraction. (One attracted, one repelled.) If you were to attach them together exactly equally they offset each other and they don't move any other objects; they cancel each other out. Then I scaled up the attraction equally in opposite directions. Everything was good until I got to six digit numbers, which is when Algodoo switches it into exponential notation. At that point the repulsion force became slightly stronger than the attraction force, even though they were scaled equally.
Attachments
Attraction bug report.phz
(13.97 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Re: Calculations bug?

Postby Ivan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:50 pm

It seems that it doesn't have to do with exponential calculations. If you set a lower attraction value, the effect will still occur (it will be more noticeable if you speed up the simulation or zoom in).
The cause the forces not completely canceling each other out seems to be that the blue and the red circle are not exactly in the same position. The blue circle is slightly lower than the red one.
Ivan

Re: Calculations bug?

Postby Sonic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Ahh you're right it must have been user error on my part. I withdraw my bug report
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Return to Help / Bug reports