Forum login limit?

Discuss the forum itself. Organization, improvements, moderation, etc.

Forum login limit?

Postby TC42 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Today I logged out of the forum... and when I tried to log in, it told me that I had "exceeded the max number of login attempts" (hey, I'm not the best typist). So then I had to enter a confirmation code (and the letters/numbers in it were barely readable, I had to try again and again), and try to login again. Why should the forums be able to lock me out of my own account? :x And Why would having me guess the letters in an image make a difference in whether or not I can log in or not? Is it to prevent spambots from hacking people's accounts? :roll:

Sheesh.

[/rant] Any comments?
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Re: Forum login limit?

Postby Chronos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm

TC42 wrote:Is it to prevent spambots from hacking people's accounts?

Basically, yeah.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby TC42 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Chronos wrote:
TC42 wrote:Is it to prevent spambots from hacking people's accounts?

Basically, yeah.

So delete the spam posts, change your password, and move to Canada. :thumbup:

I guess I can say that I never knew that this was a major issue...
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby Chronos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it's build into the forum software and turned on by default. But hey, better have it and not need it than need it and not have it, right?
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Emanuel » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:03 am

The captcha, as it is called, is mainly there to prevent spambots from creating accounts and post junk, however, the amount of distortion can be set.

The distortion was increased to see if we could decrease the amount of spam posts, but if it is too hard for the average real user to type in the characters, then it is too distorted.

There is a balance between keeping the spam away and having real users able to create account. I tried a couple of captchas and though they were okay for a human to read, but I might have been lucky with which captchas I got, so the distortion is now decrease a bit.

Lets hope the spam does not increase to unbearable amounts.

/ Emanuel
Algodoo Developer
Emanuel

Postby Sonic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 am

It's kinda nice having an admin that's actually taking part in the community now.
(No offense Link, you were great and all)
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Postby Someone Else » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:15 am

I only log out of my account when the forum software does it for me because I have been offline too long.

Speaking of which, I hate it when I finish a big post, hit the Preview button, have to log back on, then the software forgets what I typed, so I have to minimize/maximize the window [because of fail software on the school-issued laptop] so I can go back and copy the post onto my clipboard [and I had to minimize/maximize to be able to select it], and I have to minimize/maximize twice more just to paste it onto the logged-in post...

What I'm saying is, could you do something so the forum software actually remembers what you typed when you have to log back in as I detailed so you don't have to waste 30 seconds of your life on stupid software you didn't even want in the first place?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby TC42 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 am

Well, then, I'm just going to edit this post and make it completely irrelevant.
Last edited by TC42 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TC42

Postby electronicboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 am

I'll just leave that there to make you look like an idiot.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Return to Meta forum